Unfiltered copepod tank

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I set up a little 7 gallon tank with an air stone and a good light above it to get copepods to breed in another space for our mandarins. No filter and just a clump of chaeto and a handful of porous media tubes. I dose phyto in there every couple of days. Will this be enough to keep a culture and chaeto going long term? A brown slime just started to grow on the tubes so I was going to put a couple of turbo snails in there overnight. Will that harm them at all? Thanks for any pointers you can give me!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

DE FISH

View Badges
Reaction score
the pod culture needs no filtration and I would not add the snails everything sounds fine to me

OP
MaxtheCat

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
the pod culture needs no filtration and I would not add the snails everything sounds fine to me
I was only going to put the snails in for the day, maybe? So that they could help clean in here. It's getting to be a mess! Are these diatoms? And would you have any suggestions on how to clean this?

Attachments

• 20210228_105007.jpg
    20210228_105007.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 33

Jay'sReefBugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I culture copepods for a side hobby . And the picture you posted that tank is way to clean my friend . Copepods eat alot of things not just phytoplankton that's how I'm able to achieve healthy nutrition in the culture. If phyto is your primary food source you at least want a green tea look in the water colum at all times . Like Subsea said your thinking about this a little wrong

Zoanthids

WHAT WATER CHANGE "PERCENTAGE" MAKES IT WORTH DOING?

• 5% - 10%

Votes: 27 11.5%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 123 52.6%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 52 22.2%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 40% - 50%

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 50% or more

Votes: 0 0.0%