Unfiltered copepod tank

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I set up a little 7 gallon tank with an air stone and a good light above it to get copepods to breed in another space for our mandarins. No filter and just a clump of chaeto and a handful of porous media tubes. I dose phyto in there every couple of days. Will this be enough to keep a culture and chaeto going long term? A brown slime just started to grow on the tubes so I was going to put a couple of turbo snails in there overnight. Will that harm them at all? Thanks for any pointers you can give me!

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pod culture needs no filtration and I would not add the snails everything sounds fine to me

OP
OP
MaxtheCat

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pod culture needs no filtration and I would not add the snails everything sounds fine to me
I was only going to put the snails in for the day, maybe? So that they could help clean in here. It's getting to be a mess! Are these diatoms? And would you have any suggestions on how to clean this?

Attachments

• 20210228_105007.jpg
    20210228_105007.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 58

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pods will eat it. Stop thinking in terms of clean for copepods. With respect to phyto culture, clean & sterile avoids contamination which is a good thing.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture copepods for a side hobby . And the picture you posted that tank is way to clean my friend . Copepods eat alot of things not just phytoplankton that's how I'm able to achieve healthy nutrition in the culture. If phyto is your primary food source you at least want a green tea look in the water colum at all times . Like Subsea said your thinking about this a little wrong

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back