Unfortunate royal gramma

Kumite2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Newbie here but I've been lurking around the forums the past few weeks/months.

Anyway I found my poor royal gramma belly up this morning. I actually wasn't too surprised because he wasn't eating or acting right the past two days

The first thing I noticed was his tail seems to have been chopped of by maybe the powerhead? (it's a Nero 5 in the QT where he was)

I didn't notice any white spots or any other signs of disease but that's why I'm posting to see if you all can catch anything I'm missing since besides any white spots or something really obvious I'm not sure what to look for.

It really is upsetting. The little guy did the royal gramma thing for 2 days but by the end of the week whenever he saw me he would come out of his hiding spot and look up for the goodies.

He was still skittish but was getting braver and swimming around the tank after eating. I thought I noticed his body looked shorter yesterday while he was in his hiding spot but really couldn't confirm until this morning.

Any input would be appreciated
Thank you

20211013_084902~2.jpg 20211013_084953~2.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he was alone in the tank
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Sorry to see…

Could be damage from a pump but that is pretty rare. It could also have been a primary bacterial infection, but that is pretty rare to see as well.
My best guess it was both: slight damage of the tail by the pump that then became infected, causing further tissue loss.
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kumite2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the input. I'm just relieved no one posted it looks like he had the worse and most contagious condition out there

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back