Unidentified Snail - Reef Friend or Reef Foe

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently found 4 on the rockwork and glass at my usual 2:00 am check in. I guess if I've seen 4 or 5, there are many more. They look kind of like Nassarius. They are all on the small side. He's photographed on a paper towel so you can get an idea of the size from the "weave" of the towel. Sorry, I should have put a penny next to him but it was 2:00 am and I wasn't at the top of my game. He would definitely fit on a penny. Should I be concerned by these guys?

20170619_022454.jpg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a whelk, which depending on species can be predatory on other snails and bivalves

Tulip snail seems a likely candidate.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm inclined to remove on sight. Better safe than sorry I guess. Any thoughts?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to err on the side of caution. Could be a candidate to live in the fuge or sump

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested customer support at Liveaquaria.com identified it as a fighting conch.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very cool. Also why I hesitate to remove on sight I suppose.

I am just starting out, so may feel differently once I have to deal with pests. But for now I think that this mix of life and unexpected visitors is a big part of what I love about all of this.

Tony

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. I love that part too. I always get up at 2:00 am and shine my flashlight into the tank to see what's going on. I'm very often surprised. Like by these fighting conch (which are, luckily, reef friendly by the way.) I also keep in mind, however, that we are running very small, dense and complex systems. A pest can easily rip through a system and encounter very little resistance whether it's cyano, algae or an unwanted pest. And sometimes you find out that there is not too much you can do but sit and wait it out. That can be tough.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, seems like it. Not looking forward to when I have to deal with that (my tank is just about one month old...)

We have a little red LED flashlight we keep near the tank for our late night checks. Works great.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back