OP
OP
B

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My praziquantel delivery was delayed so will apparently arrive tomorrow now.

In the meantime, I think I found more subtle evidence of flukes.

My Desjardini Tang, Coris Wrasse and Regal Angelfish all have slightly frayed fun edges. I have witnessed a Lyretail Anthias 'yawning' a few times and one of my Ocellaris Clownfish has what looks like a tiny translucent bulge above one eye, I got a fleeting look at the right angle and it was similar to if there was a drop of water on a a pair of glasses, if that makes sense. I've also seen my Coris Wrasse flash once.

I'm excluding velvet as they'd be dead by now given the passage of time and I don't think it's whitespot as no other fish have developed spots.

I now think that the spots/lumps on my Regal Blue Tang that started this thread may have been feeding injuries from attached flukes.

I will dose praziquantel tomorrow when it arrives.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are an aq product, though likely made for a fish only situation. Apparently they use an inert excipient called cellulose so hopefully no issues with that.

I don't know the exact percentage of active ingredient, just that each tablet contains 100mg of praziquantel.

I'll update on the treatment as I go.

Thank you.

Those other symptoms do line up with flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australia Post has disappointed me, yet again. I would like to say for the last time, but it won't be. If this is express parcel post then it's fortunate that I didn't select standard.

Luckily this is not a swiftly fatal disease...

I'm hopeful of receiving the praziquantel tomorrow now and will update after dosing.

OP
OP
B

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the first dose is in and the only adverse reaction so far is that one of my Goni's is slightly retracted. All other corals seem fine and all fish show no negative response. The skimmer overreacted a bit, which is to be expected, but the collection cup is off so it's just helping with oxygenation. I'll post a symptom update in about a week unless things go south beforehand. Thank you for all your input so far, Jay.

OP
OP
B

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is day 5 of treatment and I think that the Desjardini Tang is breathing easier, however, if this is flukes I now think that it is concurrent with whitespot.

My Regal Blue Tang has developed more white spots which are more classical in appearance to whitespot.

I suspect that when I turned my UV steriliser off a few weeks back for a chemiclean treatment, that it must have allowed the whitespot to multiply more than usual. It has now been off for the praziquantel treatment which has likely exacerbated the situation.

I'll now need to assess my options for treatment and go from there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is day 5 of treatment and I think that the Desjardini Tang is breathing easier, however, if this is flukes I now think that it is concurrent with whitespot.

My Regal Blue Tang has developed more white spots which are more classical in appearance to whitespot.

I suspect that when I turned my UV steriliser off a few weeks back for a chemiclean treatment, that it must have allowed the whitespot to multiply more than usual. It has now been off for the praziquantel treatment which has likely exacerbated the situation.

I'll now need to assess my options for treatment and go from there.

Yes - concurrent diseases often happen and can be difficult to manage....

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back