Unknown coral finally opened. Is it a zoa?

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I picked up several zoa frags from an aquarium store in Miami while on vacation. Upon later inspection of the bag I saw what looked like extremely small closed polyps stuck to the bottom of my Aoi zoa plug. I decided to keep the mysterious zoa in hopes that It would open later and I could identify them. I removed them from the plug, dipped, and glued them to a rock. Fast forward to today and they finally opened but I have no clue what they are or why they are so tiny. I would appreciate any information or help on what these little guys are. Thanks!

1A5D2A84-A354-4B9A-B569-A29F0430BBFA.png 5F1D3BA3-3B61-480C-8DEC-15D5547AA2B9.jpeg
347C7CE7-D2BD-49B3-9B3C-F9329B77E8F5.jpeg

Hollington37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I picked up several zoa frags from an aquarium store in Miami while on vacation. Upon later inspection of the bag I saw what looked like extremely small closed polyps stuck to the bottom of my Aoi zoa plug. I decided to keep the mysterious zoa in hopes that It would open later and I could identify them. I removed them from the plug, dipped, and glued them to a rock. Fast forward to today and they finally opened but I have no clue what they are or why they are so tiny. I would appreciate any information or help on what these little guys are. Thanks!

1A5D2A84-A354-4B9A-B569-A29F0430BBFA.png 5F1D3BA3-3B61-480C-8DEC-15D5547AA2B9.jpeg
347C7CE7-D2BD-49B3-9B3C-F9329B77E8F5.jpeg
Looks like a small colony of zoas that still aren’t quite opened fully.

OP
OP
Aiden22!

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly Daisy cutters or stargazer. Good freebie
Interesting take but I want to emphasize how small these guys are. The whole colony can fit on my thumb nail. They have little to no glow under the blues so I’m stuck. I appreciate your help though and hopefully you’re right cause I’d be happy with either of those. Thanks.

Hollington37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them in since march and this is the most they’ve opened. I agree on zoas and i’ll send some more pics if they open up more. Thanks.
I had a few stay closed that long. Sometimes they weren’t happy at the LFS and then they go through stress of moving and sounds like you fragged the whole colony essentially, so they’re just stressed.

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting take but I want to emphasize how small these guys are. The whole colony can fit on my thumb nail. They have little to no glow under the blues so I’m stuck. I appreciate your help though and hopefully you’re right cause I’d be happy with either of those. Thanks.
Some type of micro zoas. Hopefully they open and color up for you. Always fun trying to figure out what the mystery frags are. Good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back