Unknown Crab ID

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months or so back I bought a handful of blue leg hermit crabs from my LFS, and this one was initially hidden in its shell and later made an appearance as "not a blue leg hermit crab". It seems to get along fine with everything else and hasn't seemed to cause any issues, but I am dang curious what the heck kind of crab it is. I know what it's not: it's not a blue leg, blue leg metallic, algae eating or scarlet crab. The color is pretty accurate, ie: mostly black with yellowish-white spots and a few horizontal lines on the legs. And yes, this wasn't the original shell - it either occupied an empty spiny astrea snail shell or "forcibly removed" the occupant. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Addendum: The closest guess I have at this point is a Gold-spotted hermit crab.

IMG_0621.jpg
040619sntd0568m3.jpg 101221tmfts02215m3.jpg 101221tmfts02215m3b.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it looks like. Is there a reason you suspect it’s something else?

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it looks like. Is there a reason you suspect it’s something else?
When it was smaller I thought it might be a zebra leg hermit crab, but it wasn’t until later today that it made an appearance after many months and allowed me to get a half decent photo of it. And yes, it does look like a gold spotted hermit crab. No idea if it’s desirable and/or reef safe, other than it seems to be a decent scavenger.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a strawberry hermit.crab once that got waaaay to big. I had to take it and the jade hermit to the lfs for donation. ":/
Hermit crabs are ok until they get bigger. 3"+
D

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back