Unknown Critters in refugium

Livebait44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bunch of these in my refugium, look different then the copepods I also have , just curious what they might be

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I did not know what they where, should I be worried about the flat worms ?
Potentially. Yours look like the photosynthetic and algae eating type which are unsightly but harmless, but they can be hard to distinguish from the pest types like acropora eating flatworms.

If you want to error on the side of caution, you can use flatworm exit to get rid of them. There are lots of precautions and setup though so read up on the process well if you take this approach. It is reef safe but only if you use the correct procedure.

OP
OP
Livebait44

Livebait44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bunch of these in my refugium, look different then the copepods I also have , just curious what they might be

The other
Potentially. Yours look like the photosynthetic and algae eating type which are unsightly but harmless, but they can be hard to distinguish from the pest types like acropora eating flatworms.

If you want to error on the side of caution, you can use flatworm exit to get rid of them. There are lots of precautions and setup though so read up on the process well if you take this approach. It is reef safe but only if you use the correct ? procedure.
Have not seen any in the display tank. So guessing they get eaten? Maybe lol

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other

Have not seen any in the display tank. So guessing they get eaten? Maybe lol
Wrasse and damsels eat them voraciously if they get in your display tank. They also blend into the rocks incredibly well so they can be hard to see in the display. Ones on the glass in the display will get eaten immediately.

OP
OP
Livebait44

Livebait44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse and damsels eat them voraciously if they get in your display tank. They also blend into the rocks incredibly well so they can be hard to see in the display. Ones on the glass in the display will get eaten immediately.
Have a clownfish, sharknose gobie and yellow Watchman in the display tank,

OP
OP
Livebait44

Livebait44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you great information, I just going to wait see on the flat worms , have been seeing them in refugium for a couple months , just did not know they where flat worms lol but after your reply and looking at them with magnifier yup they are flat worms

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amthipod you don't see true Isos much in the hobby unless it's real live rock which is pretty much banned at this point

Back