Unknown disease with powder blue

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I did my 1st freshwater dip today that was unnerving. It took 45 min to catch the sucker from the tank 1st off. He needed a "factory reset" anyway.. he was getting way to aggressive with the other tang so into a QT bucket he went and then I rearranged the rock a bit. Then the freshwater dip. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was freaked out. 2-3 min then back to qt bucket. Yep saw "sesame seeds" in the freshwater bucket. Put some mardel in qt bucket with him. He'll be there until I don't see any more twitching or scraping then 1 extra week for good measure. Probably another freshwater dip in a few days too. No one else has any issues in tank but will keep prazi-ing it for 1 more 9 day cycle to be safe. I thought for sure I was gonna kill him with that dip. I washed freshwater bucket with scalding hot water and net too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I did my 1st freshwater dip today that was unnerving. It took 45 min to catch the sucker from the tank 1st off. He needed a "factory reset" anyway.. he was getting way to aggressive with the other tang so into a QT bucket he went and then I rearranged the rock a bit. Then the freshwater dip. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was freaked out. 2-3 min then back to qt bucket. Yep saw "sesame seeds" in the freshwater bucket. Put some mardel in qt bucket with him. He'll be there until I don't see any more twitching or scraping then 1 extra week for good measure. Probably another freshwater dip in a few days too. No one else has any issues in tank but will keep prazi-ing it for 1 more 9 day cycle to be safe. I thought for sure I was gonna kill him with that dip. I washed freshwater bucket with scalding hot water and net too.

I'm not sure I understand the process: What is the "Mardel" that you added? How large is the bucket, and how long are keeping the tang in it? I'm not sure I would be able to maintain low ammonia, temperature, etc. in a bucket like that.

I'm concerned that other fish in your tank have a sub-clinical case of Neobenedenia, and if so, if you put the PBT back, it will just get infected again.

Here is a table from my disease book that lists some of the fish known to get Neobenedenia:

Angelfish, Pomacanthus sp. ++
Barrimundi, Lates sp. ++
Batfish, Platax sp. +++
Butterflyfish, Chaetodon sp. ++
Cichlid, Tilapia sp. +++ (when housed in seawater)
Invertebrates 0 (but may carry eggs)
Jacks, Caraganidae +++
Lionfish, Pterois sp. +
Lookdowns, Selene sp. +++
Pyramid butterflyfish, Hemitaurichthys sp. +++
Grouper family, Serranidae ++
Garden eel, Taenioconger sp. +
Remora, Echeneis sp. +
Sharks and rays, Elasmobranchs 0
Surgeonfish, Acanthurus sp. ++
Spadefish, Chaetodipterus faber +++

Aquarium hosts for Neobenedenia sp. 0=not infected, + = sometimes infected, ++=commonly infected, +++=very commonly infected (From Bullard et-al 2000 and personal obs.)

Jay

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mardel paracide, afraid prazi in qt will use up o2. 10 gal bucket I have a 2nd bucket with water ready in case ammonia etc climbs temps have been holding since last night. i'm hoping to keep him in there until wed thats when next prazi is due in dt. he isn't twitching or scratching anymore after fw dip. I may do another fw tomorrow & see what falls off. kept it dark to minimize stress too. gave him 1/4 a seaweed sheet too to nibble on i am worried too abt putting him back. I do gave a clown tang too but hes showing no signs of anything .. debating on fw dip for him too as a backstop but I can't catch him yet lol thats tonight's project (catching him) other 2 fish are clowns. I read soaking food in garlic extract helps fish digest any internal flukes helps rid other parasites too so trying that as well.

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand the process: What is the "Mardel" that you added? How large is the bucket, and how long are keeping the tang in it? I'm not sure I would be able to maintain low ammonia, temperature, etc. in a bucket like that.

I'm concerned that other fish in your tank have a sub-clinical case of Neobenedenia, and if so, if you put the PBT back, it will just get infected again.

Here is a table from my disease book that lists some of the fish known to get Neobenedenia:

Angelfish, Pomacanthus sp. ++
Barrimundi, Lates sp. ++
Batfish, Platax sp. +++
Butterflyfish, Chaetodon sp. ++
Cichlid, Tilapia sp. +++ (when housed in seawater)
Invertebrates 0 (but may carry eggs)
Jacks, Caraganidae +++
Lionfish, Pterois sp. +
Lookdowns, Selene sp. +++
Pyramid butterflyfish, Hemitaurichthys sp. +++
Grouper family, Serranidae ++
Garden eel, Taenioconger sp. +
Remora, Echeneis sp. +
Sharks and rays, Elasmobranchs 0
Surgeonfish, Acanthurus sp. ++
Spadefish, Chaetodipterus faber +++

Aquarium hosts for Neobenedenia sp. 0=not infected, + = sometimes infected, ++=commonly infected, +++=very commonly infected (From Bullard et-al 2000 and personal obs.)

jay r we able to buy your book? do u have a link u can provide?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mardel paracide, afraid prazi in qt will use up o2. 10 gal bucket I have a 2nd bucket with water ready in case ammonia etc climbs temps have been holding since last night. i'm hoping to keep him in there until wed thats when next prazi is due in dt. he isn't twitching or scratching anymore after fw dip. I may do another fw tomorrow & see what falls off. kept it dark to minimize stress too. gave him 1/4 a seaweed sheet too to nibble on i am worried too abt putting him back. I do gave a clown tang too but hes showing no signs of anything .. debating on fw dip for him too as a backstop but I can't catch him yet lol thats tonight's project (catching him) other 2 fish are clowns. I read soaking food in garlic extract helps fish digest any internal flukes helps rid other parasites too so trying that as well.
Parashield is an herbal tonic, a mix of of pepper and lemon oil. It really won't be as effective at treating parasitic infections as would documented medications like Copper or praziquantel. Garlic in food is also overrated as a cure for parasites, especially since you won't know the actual dose of allicin that the fish are getting.

Neobenedenia is a TOUGH parasite to treat. Tonics and herbal remedies will NOT work. Praziquantel often fails. Some people have experimented with chloroquine and fenbendazole, but I get the best results by moving all of the fish to a different tank and treating them with hyposalinity for 35 days, then move them back into the display after about 45 days.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back