Unknown growth

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)' started by tlanz, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tlanz

tlanz Member

Folks I’m hoping someone can help me identify this strange growth in my tank. I’ve got a 75g tank about 4 months old. Only a few soft corals so far, a few chromis and a couple of clown fish. In the past week I’ve noticed this growth which looks like tiny bubbles beneath a transparent film like algae covering. Any idea what this is or whether it needs to be treated? It seems to be spreading in the past week. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. todda5914

todda5914 Member

Likely to be bubble algae. Good to remove early since it spreads quickly. Don’t pop when you remove if you can, it helps to spread.

3. tlanz

tlanz Member

Any tips for removing it? Can I kill it with water changes and by lowering phosphates? I noticed last week my phosphate level rose

4. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Reefing Mom! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019

Without pictures we can't help identify. Can you post some?

DSC reef likes this.
  5. tlanz

tlanz Member

Sorry but this app isn’t working properly and won’t access my camera.

6. Ghxst

Ghxst Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

As a heads up I find it best to use this site in the browser of any device. No app.

What you describe can be many things from the dreaded Dino’s to gas trapped in cyano. A clear picture and description of your tank, it’s age, inhabitants, and all water test results will get you an answer. Gl!

Draft saved Draft deleted