Unknown mushroom at LFS

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has this mushroom in one of their tanks and they don't know what kind it is. The guy they got it from didn't know either.

My wife is captivated by it every time we go in and we'd love to know what it is.
LFS Mushroom.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like an elephant ear, or

Neon Green Hairy Mushroom Coral, Rhodactis indosinensis

I have the latter and they are growing out of control. Mine are a darker shade of green, brown and yellow shades are also available now and again.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairy Rhodactis is the closest thing I can find too, but the polyps on this thing just look a bit different. Doesn't look as hairy, and almost like there's some bounce in there with the purple bits.

Either way the whole color scheme looks super ethereal. Very captivating. Hopefully I can find a frag or smaller specimen of something similar. This thing will go for an arm and a leg I'm sure.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you asked the price? I would think it would be difficult to ask a high price for something that no one even the store selling it has an ID on it.
I was told they were hoping for 1k+ when I asked about it. I definitely don't have that to play around with! Waiting to get my tank to at least the 6month point before I start throwing in pricier stuff anyways.

The thing is huge, measure probably ~8" from top to bottom, and likely a bit larger. It's hard to state just how captivating it is in person.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this listing on Live aquaria for a white tipped mushroom, and it's about the closest thing I've found.
White Tipped Mushroom.jpg

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t pay anywhere near 1k for that.
looks much like an elephant ear/hairy mushroom. Maybe @LRT can help ID
As a matter of fact he’s got some really neat shrooms FS right now, that I’m sure your wife would love, at a much better price.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly looks like a really bleached magic carpet

You might be onto something there. The green base that it has it pretty similar to magic carpets I've seen, and the shape of the polyps is a lot closer.

I wouldn’t pay anywhere near 1k for that.
looks much like an elephant ear/hairy mushroom. Maybe @LRT can help ID
As a matter of fact he’s got some really neat shrooms FS right now, that I’m sure your wife would love, at a much better price.

I looked into the possibility of it being an elephant ear but I've never seen it close up in that cup fashion you can see the elephant ears do. We've spent a lot of time watching it at the store. Agreed I wouldn't pay 1k for it, but my wife loves it enough she was seriously weighing the possibility :grinning-squinting-face:

I showed her some pictures of magic carpets and she liked those a lot too it seems. I just wish I could see any other mushroom with that while/purple combo going on. It's wild.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely far from healthy or anything I would put in my tank.
am i crazy for thinking it's on its way out?!

I wouldn't have even considered that it might be on its way out. It looks perfectly healthy in person, and is always very opened up. It's been there for a while now too, at least a few months.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have even considered that it might be on its way out. It looks perfectly healthy in person, and is always very opened up. It's been there for a while now too, at least a few months.
Its definitely bleached and the colour seems to be green which is fairly consistent with hairy mushrooms.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Only time I've seen shrooms white with a "holographic" kind of color is when they're on their way out. They also get kind of stiff and if it's hairy, their polyps become short.

Wouldn't reccomend buying that, it's without a doubt bleached.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, surprised to hear the general consensus is that it’s on its way out! Looking at pictures of bleached mushrooms I can definitely see what ya’ll mean though.

My wife and I go in every Sunday to get RO/DI, so I’ll definitely be monitoring it to look for further color loss or recovery. I’ll take a video and post it too!

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the idea that it was bleaching was correct! But it doesn’t look like it’s on its way out. It’s colored up more since our last visit so hopefully its recovering and continues ti do so. There’s definitely a lot more purple present in the polyps than there was, and is definitely apparent in person.

As it colors up, maybe a solid ID will be possible.
B288EA50-C1A7-400E-B4FE-BCEB28E44E1E.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have guessed bleached too. Glad it is dong better, but I would hold off buying until fully recovered. And $1K is way out of bounds for that type of shroom. Then again, I think that for any shroom. I guess if the store owner thinks he can get it, his business.
Can you get a picture under whites? It may help a lot with identification.

By the tentacles, looks similar to St. Thomas mushroom.

OP
OP
rhizo

rhizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have guessed bleached too. Glad it is dong better, but I would hold off buying until fully recovered. And $1K is way out of bounds for that type of shroom. Then again, I think that for any shroom. I guess if the store owner thinks he can get it, his business.
Can you get a picture under whites? It may help a lot with identification.

By the tentacles, looks similar to St. Thomas mushroom.
I was looking at a St. Thomas shroom too. Hard to find much info on them though it seems.

I have no intention of buying this thing for such a steep price, I think it’s ridiculous too.
I’ll ask if they can throw on the whites the next time I’m there for a snap.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back