Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease (UNWD)

Hectaka

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have been noticing more and more of this type of behaviour from wrasses. Mccosker is from Maldeves. It was qted for the mjor disease like ich/velvet/brook/uromena and internal worm/parasites. All i can offer for something like this that is unknown is that i can replace the fish as its not likely to survive. sometimes they get spinal injuries as well from darting and hitting their backs but normally you will see them curled up. anyhow let me know.

Other fish acting fine? any odd behaviour?
Oh I'm not asking for any kind of replacement just putting my experience out there for those doing the research and didn't know the actual source. The fish looked amazing and honestly still does, he just can't swim correctly. I just got the shipping date for my next order from you next week, once that settles in I'll see if I have room for something else. This seems to be something completely out of our control.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Oh I'm not asking for any kind of replacement just putting my experience out there for those doing the research and didn't know the actual source. The fish looked amazing and honestly still does, he just can't swim correctly. I just got the shipping date for my next order from you next week, once that settles in I'll see if I have room for something else. This seems to be something completely out of our control.
I appriciate your patience and understanding, I added a free one to your order thursday. I hate for you to spend money into a fish and not get a good healthy fish. I have said this many times. I am hobbyist first business later so I feel the pain of losing money/livestock.

This is something very new to the scene and I am not aware of an remidy for this unfortunately.

OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
for what its worth, I have a dozen of them in a 55 gal tank and only 1 showed that behaviour.

That's about an 8% rate, similar to my off-the-cuff estimate of around 5%

It is definitely not a "100%" contagious disease like velvet. It's more like Uronema, where certain fish species seem most susceptible, and then, only a lesser percentage of those ever show symptoms - always with newly acquired ones. I've yet to see this issue in wrasse that have been 6+ months in captivity.

I just got an email last week that the histopathologist has gotten the samples and is about to start screening for viral issues. The public aquarium side of things pretty much all suspect a viral component to this.

Jay

Join the movement!

Dr. Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That's about an 8% rate, similar to my off-the-cuff estimate of around 5%

It is definitely not a "100%" contagious disease like velvet. It's more like Uronema, where certain fish species seem most susceptible, and then, only a lesser percentage of those ever show symptoms - always with newly acquired ones. I've yet to see this issue in wrasse that have been 6+ months in captivity.

I just got an email last week that the histopathologist has gotten the samples and is about to start screening for viral issues. The public aquarium side of things pretty much all suspect a viral component to this.

Jay
Yes Jay I agree, I think its viral. I keep multiple wrasses in same tak to qt and evernow and then in a btach i will see 1 that seems to show this behaviour. I have 1 that swims upside down. lays upside down, eats upside down. Its not dying its healthy as it can be and its been there for 1 month. Tankmates include a dozen damsels and 6 yellow coris wrasses and a dozen mccoskers, couple of pipefish and some clowns. they are in my overflow inventory so they have passed the 30 day qt and are sitting to be sold. its funny seeing this fish doing everything upside down.
But yes I think its viral and it only effects a very selective certain fish.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Yes Jay I agree, I think its viral. I keep multiple wrasses in same tak to qt and evernow and then in a btach i will see 1 that seems to show this behaviour. I have 1 that swims upside down. lays upside down, eats upside down. Its not dying its healthy as it can be and its been there for 1 month. Tankmates include a dozen damsels and 6 yellow coris wrasses and a dozen mccoskers, couple of pipefish and some clowns. they are in my overflow inventory so they have passed the 30 day qt and are sitting to be sold. its funny seeing this fish doing everything upside down.
But yes I think its viral and it only effects a very selective certain fish.
Mike, I had this experience with a Pintail. I purchased it from a shop locally that had it on hand for 6 weeks. It was a weird swimmer as you described. It spent most of its day swimming upside down. Was super healthy visually, just Odd. It had gone through a full 45 day qt with me and was waiting for introduction into the main system when the symptoms went from odd, to worrisome. The fish died 4 days after it started to turn.

Hectaka

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Here are a couple videos of my McCosker. He'll swim like this for a minute or two then just lays on the bottom typically upside down. Using a pipette I put a few Brine Shrimp into the box and he ate most of them but did seem to struggle getting to them with his swimming struggles.

OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Here are a couple videos of my McCosker. He'll swim like this for a minute or two then just lays on the bottom typically upside down. Using a pipette I put a few Brine Shrimp into the box and he ate most of them but did seem to struggle getting to them with his swimming struggles.

Sad to see - that's a pretty fish.

Jay

Hectaka

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sad to see - that's a pretty fish.

Jay
Thank you, he has been fun to watch. He was a bit of a jerk at first to the Carpenter and would chase him until he hid inside the barnacles. That only lasted a couple days. After that they got along OK, and would flash at each other frequently but not much chasing. I'm definitely hooked on wrasses, they bring a nice splash of orange/red color to my tank which is mostly black and white/silver fish and green coral for now.

Costareefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If it’s viral I have 2 questions. Are there abnormal amounts of wrasses dying off in nature? And was this happening 10-15-20 years ago? I don’t recall a wrasse degeneration like this in my many years. It seems like a more recent issue.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If it’s viral I have 2 questions. Are there abnormal amounts of wrasses dying off in nature? And was this happening 10-15-20 years ago? I don’t recall a wrasse degeneration like this in my many years. It seems like a more recent issue.
Yes, this is new. I didn’t see this 20+ years ago. The history of the Banggai cardinal virus is something to consider - back in the 1990s the fish were fine, then the virus infected the exporter’s tanks and the disease became an issue. This has a similar history.

It might not be a virus, but it isn’t mechanical injury as was first believed.

Jay

Costareefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yes, this is new. I didn’t see this 20+ years ago. The history of the Banggai cardinal virus is something to consider - back in the 1990s the fish were fine, then the virus infected the exporter’s tanks and the disease became an issue. This has a similar history.

It might not be a virus, but it isn’t mechanical injury as was first believed.

Jay
I’m this illness/environmental issue or whatever it turns out to be. Do the wrasses improve then go back downhill? Or is it once the symptoms show it’s all downhill from there? Basically a degeneration?

OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve not heard of any of these wrasses recovering. In some cases the symptoms gradually get worse over days/weeks, in other cases the fish suddenly develop symptoms and then get no worse.

Jay

Zoanthids.com

Dr. Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve not heard of any of these wrasses recovering. In some cases the symptoms gradually get worse over days/weeks, in other cases the fish suddenly develop symptoms and then get no worse.

Jay
I agree with @Jay Hemdal. I have never had one recover. In fact spinning in circles and showing signs of this disease is usually the last few days of the fish living. Normally when these signs start to appear its already too late for the fish.

How do you take care of your tank after the storm? As the electricity and WiFi come back on, how do you get your tank back to normalcy?

• Water change

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Check all equipment and service as needed

Votes: 49 71.0%
  • Check parameters and make adjustments

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Feed fish and corals

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other (please explain in discussion thread)

Votes: 8 11.6%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer