Unknown organism?!???

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this is? I found a huge one a couple months ago under a rock and removed it, didn't see them again until I upgraded to a sump and now they're all over my ceramic media. I also have started finding them in the dt again but very small, very widely distributed and only in the dark under rocks.

IMG_20200224_223407623.jpg IMG_20200224_223316241.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's no chance they'll become a nuisance at all? So far I only see them in very dark areas or areas that only get light for a few hours a day (it's a small sump and I've got a HOB skimmer so I use my skimmer compartment as a refugium

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's no chance they'll become a nuisance at all? So far I only see them in very dark areas or areas that only get light for a few hours a day (it's a small sump and I've got a HOB skimmer so I use my skimmer compartment as a refugium
I've not yet seen a tank that I'd consider overgrown with them. Personally, I'd like more in my tank. Sponges are a great addition for natural filtration.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're just sponges then that's actually great. I was considering getting a sponge to absorb silicates and what not from my tank to combat diatoms so free sponge ig lol. They may already be doing that work because I've noticed the diatoms have been spreading slower lately

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll fill up the undersides of your rock and your sump, any low light and low flow areas. They're good though, wont hurt coral, different needs

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll fill up the undersides of your rock and your sump, any low light and low flow areas. They're good though, wont hurt coral, different needs
Well that's good to hear. And that's also probably why I don't have many of them in my DT because I have pretty high flow throughout

Back