Unknown problem killing fish

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something has been killing my fish and I suspect its disease or a parasite of some sort. I've attached a picture of a kole tang, which is still alive but I fear not for long. The only thing every fish that died had in common was torn lips.

Screenshot_20191113-155954_Video Player.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, as Malifry97 said it could be flukes. Have you noticed any thing out of the ordinary with the fish? Flashing, hiding, swimming near the surface, hiding in the corners or behind the rocks? I was just reading one of Humblefish's threads and he points out that the Neobenedenia prefers the face, lips and eyes. Let's get some eyes on it. #reefsquad

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's Neobenedenia, you should be able to see the worms. They are 3-6mm as a adult. Irritation from them would cause "flashing" as with Ich.

I would agree that it could be velvet.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang probably has velvet and the "mouth rot" is a secondary bacterial infection. The best antibiotic for treating mouth infections is Triple Sulfa (aka Sulfa Plex). Sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it sucks but I'm trying to not get too down. The fishes behavior before any lip rot was pretty normal behavior, granted I'm not home for most of the day. But while I was home they swam around fine and ate normally. The tang is currently laying on the substrate, still breathing and every now and then will give a kick and move along the bottom. I will scoop him up and inspect him again later. Just letting him try to live without me stressing him out even more.

Baileyshouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something has been killing my fish and I suspect its disease or a parasite of some sort. I've attached a picture of a kole tang, which is still alive but I fear not for long. The only thing every fish that died had in common was torn lips.

Screenshot_20191113-155954_Video Player.jpg
Looks like velvet to me

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say that the fish have been dying one by one over several weeks. They didnt die all at once.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dealing with secondary bacterial infection/mouth rot from parasite... looks like velvet and possibly flukes.

I know the deaths you experienced (sorry for your loss BTW) have been staggered but depending on each fishes immune system velvet can take each fish periodically.

Do you have QT? Copper?

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say that the fish have been dying one by one over several weeks. They didnt die all at once.
Velvet doesn't always wipe out a tank all at once. Depending on the growth of parasite numbers, each fish's immune system, the progress of the parasites can vary from a total quick complete wipe out to a slow one by one as each fish succumbs.

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have qt or copper medicine. I did just receive hikari prazipro parasite treatment and dr Tim's first defense. The only thing left in the tank now 4 black damsels, 1 wraisse, 4 anemones, 1 clownfish, and a spiny lobster. The fish that have already died are several tangs, 3 clowns, a panther grouper.

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang didnt make it but I uploaded some more photos of him after he passed. I'm not sure what to look for, does it still seem like its velvet? I dont see any little white flukes.

20191113_231859.jpg 20191113_231918.jpg 20191113_231844.jpg 20191113_231936.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! You could still dip the fish and see if any flukes come off the skin before you discard the body.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still think its something more severe most likely velvet by the pictures you posted prior.

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will leave him in some freshwater to see if i see anything. It's always rough losing a fish but I have been in the hobby long enough to know that sometimes things go wrong. I appreciate all the help as well. My next question is what should i do with the current tank? I am no expert on fish diseases but how should i treat the water? Does velvet or flukes continue to live in the water? There are currently a few fish still in the tank but not many.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they have life cycles that can only be disrupted by removing all fish. I suggest run your display fallow for 76 days just to be sure you eradicate all parasites including ich from the equation. You will need to grab a QT and meds if you want to save your current fish and get your fallow period going sooner than later.

Last edited:
Back