Unknown spots on foxface

bjesquivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B4C12EA-33E8-4DB8-8B9C-3F4BB1F07DD6.jpeg

I noticed these spots on my foxface this morning. They are attached, but are free floating. It almost floats around in the same manner as algae would on rocks. Any ideas? Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That really does look like bits of algae stuck to the fish's skin. It isn't any of the common communicable diseases, and it doesn't look like tang turbellarians. Here is a link to some background information that will help try to figure this out:

Jay

OP
OP
B

bjesquivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That really does look like bits of algae stuck to the fish's skin. It isn't any of the common communicable diseases, and it doesn't look like tang turbellarians. Here is a link to some background information that will help try to figure this out:

Jay
Thank you for the quick response. I’ve been a long time viewer, but never became a member of the forum. I’ll watch over the next few days and then report back. Thank you once again!

OP
OP
B

bjesquivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I’ve had some progression since the last picture. The algae like attachments are pretty much gone, but now he has a white film that seems to be sloughing off of the fish.

Attachments

• IMG_4524.MOV
    4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I’ve had some progression since the last picture. The algae like attachments are pretty much gone, but now he has a white film that seems to be sloughing off of the fish.

O.K., we really do need to know the full history on this fish - how long you've had it, tankmates. water quality, etc.

The fish is breathing too fast in the video, and the mucus sheets leads me to think Brooklynella. That algae sticking to its side was just a symptom of the thick mucus.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bjesquivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., we really do need to know the full history on this fish - how long you've had it, tankmates. water quality, etc.

The fish is breathing too fast in the video, and the mucus sheets leads me to think Brooklynella. That algae sticking to its side was just a symptom of the thick mucus.

Jay
Salinity- 1.026
Ph- 8.16
Temp- 78.5
Alk- 8.88
Ca- 426
Mag- 1493
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5

tank has been up approximately 6 months. Inhabitants include:
Yellow tang
Foxface
2x clown fish
Mandarin dragonette
Yellow watchman
inverts: snails, emerald crab, pistol shrimp

my quarantine process included the TTM with 2 24hr prazipro treatments and 2 45 minute formalin baths.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature is good, so that isn’t the cause of the rapid breathing.
TTM doesn’t address Brooklynella, but the formalin would have….do you know the dose you used though?
I would consider repeating the formalin dips to see if that helps.
Jay

OP
OP
B

bjesquivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 0.6 ml of 37% formaldehyde per gallon. So I used roughly 6ml. He fish was doing worse, so I actually already did the dip again. By the end of the 30 minutes he was laying on his side not breathing. I have already completed dips on all my other fish and transferred to a sterile quarantine tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back