Unknown thing in my tank

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3ACC1C78-8DCE-4715-86AF-E70064A5CBD8.jpeg
I have no idea what that is, I attached a photo to show you. It came out at night once I turned my lights off. I read that your aquarium looks different at night and I wanted to see for myself. That’s live rock it’s coming out of. If anyone knows what this is, it would be greatly appreciated!

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u dont like them or you get a population in a rock,alot of asian reefers and reefers out west get an arrow crab to scour the rockwork for these guys(directly import maricultured pieces way more flatworms and bristles)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be looking into a wrasse(halichoeres, melanarus, leopards, etc, any hunter type wrasse) before an arrow crab. Arrow crabs are known to eat sleeping fish. Not their fault really, they are after all just crabs that are opportunistic feeders.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be looking into a wrasse(halichoeres, melanarus, leopards, etc, any hunter type wrasse) before an arrow crab. Arrow crabs are known to eat sleeping fish. Not their fault really, they are after all just crabs that are opportunistic feeders.
Maybe in the wild,but in captivity if cuc is eating a fish chances are pretty good that something wasn't right(sickness,ilness bacteria,or the unfortunate reality of natural selection...believe it or not I've had more problems with emerald crabs(one 6$ crab killed a 300$wwcog bounce frag by crawing on it and fighting another one to the death expelling the mushrooms guts made me mad then he got up in my toadstool and ticked it off for a week needless to say I dont keep emerald crabs in my system anymore despite their beauty and usefulness,lately I've been a fan of the porcelain and the arrow crabs,the arrows are good but only for 1 per every 40g(maintain a frag tank or grow out tub)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe in the wild,but in captivity if cuc is eating a fish chances are pretty good that something wasn't right(sickness,ilness bacteria,or the unfortunate reality of natural selection...believe it or not I've had more problems with emerald crabs(one 6$ crab killed a 300$wwcog bounce frag by crawing on it and fighting another one to the death expelling the mushrooms guts made me mad then he got up in my toadstool and ticked it off for a week needless to say I dont keep emerald crabs in my system anymore despite their beauty and usefulness,arrow crabs are good but only for 1 per every 50g(maintain a frag tank or grow out tub)
And by the accounts on these forums, and countless others, they would disagree with you about arrow crabs.

Crabs are crabs, they are opportunistic eaters. Meaning if a sleeping fish was close by and they were hungry, it's game over for that fish sick or not.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not disagreeing at all,which is unfortunate for the fish but I've been lucky sofar fingers crossed

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys, I was a little worried because I have been working hard to keep it alive and didntwant it to be messed up <3

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe in the wild,but in captivity if cuc is eating a fish chances are pretty good that something wasn't right(sickness,ilness bacteria,or the unfortunate reality of natural selection...believe it or not I've had more problems with emerald crabs(one 6$ crab killed a 300$wwcog bounce frag by crawing on it and fighting another one to the death expelling the mushrooms guts made me mad then he got up in my toadstool and ticked it off for a week needless to say I dont keep emerald crabs in my system anymore despite their beauty and usefulness,lately I've been a fan of the porcelain and the arrow crabs,the arrows are good but only for 1 per every 40g(maintain a frag tank or grow out tub)

I my new rule is: if its a crab and it doesnt have feathers for hands, its evil and not coming home.

porcelains and anemone shrimp (Periclimenes, Urocaridella antonbruunii are the best, haven't tried sexy shrimp yet bc people on her say they nip corals), no other crustacean can be trusted!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back