whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the hobby of keeping a coral reef tank has grown in popularity, many hobbyists have begun to explore the use of invertebrates in their tanks. Invertebrates, such as snails, crabs, and shrimp, add an extra layer of biodiversity to a reef tank, and many species are also beneficial to the overall health of the tank. In this blog post, we'll explore some of the best invertebrates to add to a reef tank and the conditions they need to thrive.

1. Snails: Snails are a great option for reef tanks because they help to keep the tank clean by eating algae and detritus. They also help to aerate the substrate and stir up debris, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of snails for reef tanks include Astraea snails, Nassarius snails, and Cerith snails. These snails require a moderate flow rate and a consistent water temperature and pH level.
  2. Crabs: Crabs are another great addition to a reef tank. They help to keep the tank clean by eating algae, detritus, and uneaten food. They also help to aerate the substrate, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of crabs for reef tanks include Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, Red Leg Hermit Crabs and Emerald Crabs. These crabs require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes meaty items.
  3. Shrimp: Shrimp are another great addition to a reef tank. They help to keep the tank clean by eating algae, detritus, and uneaten food. They also help to aerate the substrate, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of shrimp for reef tanks include Cleaner Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, and Scarlet Skunk Shrimp. These shrimp require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes meaty items.
  4. Sea Urchins: Sea urchins are another great addition to a reef tank. They help to keep the tank clean by eating algae, detritus, and uneaten food. They also help to aerate the substrate, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of sea urchins for reef tanks include Red Urchins, Blue Urchins and Spiny Urchins. These sea urchins require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes algae.
  5. Starfish: Starfish are a great addition to a reef tank. They help to keep the tank clean by eating detritus and uneaten food. They also help to aerate the substrate, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of starfish for reef tanks include Serpent Starfish, Basket Starfish and Chocolate Chip Starfish. These starfish require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes meaty items.
  6. Sand-sifting Gobies: Sand-sifting gobies are a great option for reef tanks because they help to keep the sand bed clean by sifting through it for detritus and uneaten food. They also help to aerate the substrate, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of sand-sifting gobies for reef tanks include Diamond Goby and Orange Spotted Goby. These gobies require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes meaty items.
  7. Feather Dusters: Feather dusters are a great addition to a reef tank. They help to filter the water by capturing small particles and debris. They also help to oxygenate the water, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of feather dusters for reef tanks include Giant Feather Dusters and Hawaiian Feather Dusters. These feather dusters require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes phytoplankton.
  8. Sea Cucumbers: Sea cucumbers are another great addition to a reef tank. They help to keep the tank clean by eating detritus and uneaten food. They also help to aerate the substrate, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of sea cucumbers for reef tanks include Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber and Sand-Sifting Sea Cucumber. These sea cucumbers require a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes detritus.
  9. Clams: Clams are a great addition to a reef tank. They help to filter the water by capturing small particles and debris. They also help to oxygenate the water, which can be beneficial for other inhabitants. Some popular species of clams for reef tanks include Crocea Clams and Maxima Clams. These clams require high lighting, a moderate flow rate, a consistent water temperature and pH level, and a diet that includes phytoplankton.

When adding invertebrates to a reef tank, it's important to research the specific species you're interested in and to ensure that you can provide the appropriate water conditions and care for that species. It's also important to ensure that the invertebrates are compatible with the other inhabitants in the tank. With the right knowledge, research, and patience, you will be able to enjoy the beauty and diversity of a coral reef in your own home.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper iodine levels are important for everything that you mentioned that molts.
Probably should of included Turbo Snails.
Chocolate chip starfish is not reef safe. Ask me how I know.
Many of the above items require a more mature tank.
Finally, don't just research what your invert needs...make sure it isn't the food of other tank inhabitants. Specifically, fish like Wrasses will make a light snack out of most inverts.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper iodine levels are important for everything that you mentioned that molts.
Probably should of included Turbo Snails.
Chocolate chip starfish is not reef safe. Ask me how I know.
Many of the above items require a more mature tank.
Finally, don't just research what your invert needs...make sure it isn't the food of other tank inhabitants. Specifically, fish like Wrasses will make a light snack out of most inverts.
Great insight! Turbo snails slipped my mind somehow which is crazy because they are one of the most helpful inverts out there for algae. Starfish in general do require a more mature tank, you are correct. I could have left them out and replaced it with those turbos!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty much any crabs you can easily get ahold of are hit-or-miss in a reef. The main exception is porcelain crabs, which aren't crabs at all, and a couple species of hermit crabs- which are also not crabs.

Basket starfish almost inevitably starve in captivity, and will strip all the plankton out of the aquarium before they do. They shouldn't be collected for aquarium sale, period. I also don't know that I'd call them popular- they're pretty rare.

Sand-sifting gobies need large, established sandbeds to do well, and also aren't invertebrates.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any crabs you can easily get ahold of are hit-or-miss in a reef. The main exception is porcelain crabs, which aren't crabs at all, and a couple species of hermit crabs- which are also not crabs.

Basket starfish almost inevitably starve in captivity, and will strip all the plankton out of the aquarium before they do. They shouldn't be collected for aquarium sale, period. I also don't know that I'd call them popular- they're pretty rare.

Sand-sifting gobies need large, established sandbeds to do well, and also aren't invertebrates.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will make sure to provide more clear and assertive information in the future. Based on your comment, I understand that Porcelain crabs and certain species of hermit crabs are the exception to the hit-or-miss rule for crabs in reef tanks. I would also assume others would be doing their own research if determining that sand sifting gobies require sand in order to survive. While they aren't inverts I have included them in this list as it is majority clean up crew. I will make sure to include this information in my future posts and be more assertive in providing accurate information for reef tank hobbyists.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks from your post history like you're interested in writing informative articles for beginners. While having that sort of thing available is always good, it's important to make sure they're well-researched, and to remember that there's enormous variation among species. "Shrimp", for example, covers everything from banded coral shrimp (iffy with fish) to bullseye pistol shrimp (aggressive) to tiger pistol shrimp (generally fine) to sexy shrimp (iffy with corals) to skunk cleaner shrimp (generally OK, steals food from corals) to "peppermint shrimp" (can refer to any of a dozen species), only a few of which stir the sandbed at all, and only some of which will touch algae.

You also want to make sure you get proper species names. Latin next to the common name is helpful, especially when it comes to things like "spiny urchin", which describes just about any urchin in the world. Did you mean long-spined sea urchins, Diadema sp.?

You're off to a good start with wanting to educate people. Keep that up, but crank up the education aspects.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back