Unnamed wrasse (leopard wrasse maybe)

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this wrasse at the local fish store, not sure of it name, there are so many spotted wrasse, could anyone tell from the picture, also what is his diet, he is only picking from the rocks and sand after about three weeks.
20180614_095953.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a juvenile Ornate Leopard Wrasse. As far as getting him to eat, as with all wrasses and particularly leopards, he will readily accept all foodstuffs or wither away and die. Try live food of any type if you can get your hands on it. Other than that.... anyone?

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an Ornate Leopard Wrasse to me too. Leopard wrasses in general are finicky eaters when it comes to frozen or pellets. Their main stable of diet is pods.

If you want to have some success trying to get the guy to eat, def try some live food, keep trying frozen as well. If you can afford it, buy pods and add them to the sump to help replenish the populations while you try to get it to eat frozen. I've heard people have some luck getting them to eat non live food by using Easy Reefs Masstick Fish Food. It mixes into a sticky paste that you can stick to the glass or rockwork. For some reason people have had luck with the leopards going after that. If its not shy, stick it to the glass, so you can see if it eats it, otherwise mix and stick it to the rocks... its likely to find it while its searching for pods.

OP
OP
Ken Cyrus

Ken Cyrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an Ornate Leopard Wrasse to me too. Leopard wrasses in general are finicky eaters when it comes to frozen or pellets. Their main stable of diet is pods.

If you want to have some success trying to get the guy to eat, def try some live food, keep trying frozen as well. If you can afford it, buy pods and add them to the sump to help replenish the populations while you try to get it to eat frozen. I've heard people have some luck getting them to eat non live food by using Easy Reefs Masstick Fish Food. It mixes into a sticky paste that you can stick to the glass or rockwork. For some reason people have had luck with the leopards going after that. If its not shy, stick it to the glass, so you can see if it eats it, otherwise mix and stick it to the rocks... its likely to find it while its searching for pods.
Follow up on the leopard wrasse, still as busy as ever eating pods and now he is eating selected pieces of frozen brine and mysis.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back