Unplanned water change

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. so I've had my reef set up for a little over two months now and have done several power outages to make sure I wouldn't have a flood, well today I got to do a partial water change because I had turned the power off to add some of the ARC Pink Fusion and then went to the grocery store well about the time I got there my wife called and said we had a leak in the basement I ask if the sump had overflowed and low and behold it had so here's what happened my vacuum break on my return is 1/16 which got plugged with salt which allowed the tank to drain down to the outlet due to siphon so now my vacuum break is 1/8 so hopefully that's big enough. So to all of you brand new folks like me, make sure your vacuum break on your return is big enough or get a check valve

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. so I've had my reef set up for a little over two months now and have done several power outages to make sure I wouldn't have a flood, well today I got to do a partial water change because I had turned the power off to add some of the ARC Pink Fusion and then went to the grocery store well about the time I got there my wife called and said we had a leak in the basement I ask if the sump had overflowed and low and behold it had so here's what happened my vacuum break on my return is 1/16 which got plugged with salt which allowed the tank to drain down to the outlet due to siphon so now my vacuum break is 1/8 so hopefully that's big enough. So to all of you brand new folks like me, make sure your vacuum break on your return is big enough or get a check valve
Excellent point! Hopefully your wife is not too upset and not too much clean up.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't too bad only about two gallons but freaked her out a bit
This comment goes to show you that reefers are being desensitized to emergencies. LOL! 5 years ago I would have absolutely freaked over 2 gallons on the floor. I would have thought, "How is 2 gallons so much water to clean up? Hopefully I didn't ruin the floor." Now, I'm happy if the amount of water spilled is less than what my 10 towels can soak up.

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comment goes to show you that reefers are being desensitized to emergencies. LOL! 5 years ago I would have absolutely freaked over 2 gallons on the floor. I would have thought, "How is 2 gallons so much water to clean up? Hopefully I didn't ruin the floor." Now, I'm happy if the amount of water spilled is less than what my 10 towels can soak up.
Lol I had just got to the grocery store when she texted she didn't know where the water in the furnace room was coming from and was like "I don't know what to do do" I asked if sump had overflowed she said oh didn't check that yep asked if it was bellow return she said right at just told her it won't leak anymore I'll take care of it when I get home. I guess I'm a bit desensitized with stufff like this because I deal with "emergencies" all day everyday there's always a solution it's all the other stuff that has me freaked, parameters, lighting crazy acting Clowns.

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope just a hole to break the siphon about 1 inch above water line, check valve ordered and will be here Monday
My tank is on the second floor so I opted for the check valve right off the bat. Even a two gallon overflow would be a disaster if not caught immediately.

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember - if you use a check valve it has to be maintained just like any piece of equipment.
Careful Murphy's Law does not show up!
Ya I don't need anymore visits from Murphy anytime soon I've got one coming that disassembles made for marine use should be here tomorrow

Back