Unpopular opinion: I am excited for algae ugly stage!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank was running for almost a month and I’m so excited because I see the first speckles of diatoms.

Having a replication in a smaller scale of how the earth turned into an oxygen-rich environment which can support life is so cool! I have to get testing again, but my nutrients aren’t too bad. Just standard new cycling nutrients and blooms.

Im excited because I have some tangs in my tank already (don’t worry, tank is 300 gallons and I have a lot of experience with cycling new tanks) my nutrients are sustainable for fish.

Anyway, I’m happy because the oxygen level in the tank will become higher which improves the health of my tangs and fish. And it’s the first stages of maturity.

I have my lights running 8 hours a day. Growing cheato in sump and changing my 5 micron filter socks daily. Water is so crystal clear.

I personally don’t agree with obsessively scrubbing algae. I would hate to risk damaging my aquascape...and besides, what’s the rush? The tanks have free food now! They are picking at diatoms and having a blast.

My only concern is that guests won’t like all the future algae blooms that are on the horizon. But I know it’s temporary.

My only question: When we have a diatom bloom that is consuming extra silicates, won’t the diatoms release the silicates once they die off, causing another never ending cycle of diatoms boom and busts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are always going through some sort of cycle. The one to be able to add fish is just the starting line.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question: When we have a diatom bloom that is consuming extra silicates, won’t the diatoms release the silicates once they die off, causing another never ending cycle of diatoms boom and busts?
I don't think so. Salt manufacturers measure the amounts of trace elements they add. The amounts in every batch may fluctuate somewhat, but you need some silicates for coral growth (I'm told especially for sponges).
So while, yes, there will always be available nutrients for diatoms. The diatom are not going to be a direct result of the nutrients. The best way to defeat diatoms is to have other bacteria outcompete them for space.

Back