Unsalted frozen shrimp?

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy this to feed in my tank? Walmart and Kroger both only have salted from what I’ve seen. I have frozen mysis and brine shrimp from LFS but I was trying to find larger pieces

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frozen shrimp at grocery stores is salted? I never knew that.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it doesn’t label it as salted but most bags said said anywhere from 750-850 mg per serving. I just assumed that wasn’t what I was looking for

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps there’s sodium naturally occurring in them? There is in most foods.

Does it say added salt or anything on the ingredients?

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp in the seafood department should be safe, I’ve fed it to fish many times. They do look at you kinda funny when you ask for 1 or 2 pieces of shrimp tho.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy live shrimp or fresh caught. Asian markets are good for live ones most times of the year. They might also have live small clams which can be chopped up.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always look at the ingredients on the bag. Besides salt, some seafood also contains sodium tripolyphosphate. That's a preservative that also helps to retain moisture to keep the weight up.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp in the seafood department should be safe, I’ve fed it to fish many times. They do look at you kinda funny when you ask for 1 or 2 pieces of shrimp tho.
I went to the fish market once. Asked for 2 shrimp, 2 scallops and 2 clams. The look the man gave me was priceless but he still sold me them.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium tripolyphosphate is the issue. Some reefers ignore it, others try to rinse it out of the shrimp. I avoid it.

For background Sodium tripolyphosphate is a preservative that is applied to the shrimp while being harvested and frozen when caught (known as individual quick frozen — “IQF”). So even when you buy fresh shrimp from your fishmonger they have probably thawed out IQF shrimp. While safe for humans not sure how safe it is for fish.

I have three approaches. First I have been able to buy frozen shrimp at local LFS that doesn’t have preservative. Second, thinking about using frozen food like Rods. Third — hard to do in Chicago — live shrimp that I process myself.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium tripolyphosphate is the issue. Some reefers ignore it, others try to rinse it out of the shrimp. I avoid it.

For background Sodium tripolyphosphate is a preservative that is applied to the shrimp while being harvested and frozen when caught (known as individual quick frozen — “IQF”). So even when you buy fresh shrimp from your fishmonger they have probably thawed out IQF shrimp. While safe for humans not sure how safe it is for fish.

I have three approaches. First I have been able to buy frozen shrimp at local LFS that doesn’t have preservative. Second, thinking about using frozen food like Rods. Third — hard to do in Chicago — live shrimp that I process myself.

Good to know. I’ve always peeled it, rinsed it, soaked it in cold water then rinse again before cutting or mincing it. I’m in a small town between Louisville and Cincinnati and ran into a guy raising prawns in swimming pools in building on a farm nearby. I’m sure he could supply untainted shrimp if I called him. He made it sound like people all over the country were doing this so you may be able to find a shrimp farm in places you would never imagine.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I’ve always peeled it, rinsed it, soaked it in cold water then rinse again before cutting or mincing it. I’m in a small town between Louisville and Cincinnati and ran into a guy raising prawns in swimming pools in building on a farm nearby. I’m sure he could supply untainted shrimp if I called him. He made it sound like people all over the country were doing this so you may be able to find a shrimp farm in places you would never imagine.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve heard folks that rinse and repeat as well and it’s worked fine for them. I’m not trying to say one way is better than another. Just sharing what I know.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do feed my fish a solid supply of frozen mysis, brine, and marine cuisine from San Francisco Bay brand, I’m assuming this will work for sea stars as well. It just breaks up quickly as they are just cubes of tiny frozen shrimp, didn’t know how well the sea star will be able to grab the floating food.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed my fish a solid supply of frozen mysis, brine, and marine cuisine from San Francisco Bay brand, I’m assuming this will work for sea stars as well. It just breaks up quickly as they are just cubes of tiny frozen shrimp, didn’t know how well the sea star will be able to grab the floating food. Although eventually the food will to the bottom

Back