Unsure of Salifert tests.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Bought Salifert tests today to do some testing since I have been having some slime show up in my tank.
My NO3 and PO4 tests are clear, not even a slight shade of colour in either scale.
Should I interpret this as that I am zeroing my nutrients or could something else be off? Both tests are best before 08-2022.
no3.jpg
po4.jpg

The slime in question:
IMG_20200529_170917.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

*Edit* I removed some info about Salifert tests not being accurate, I was misinformed!

Last edited:

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are at zero.Salifert nitrate is considered one of the most accurate and reliable. The Salifert po4 test although accurate does'nt have a low enough resolution for measuring in the 0.00 to 0.06 range. It has an error range of .03.
Based on your pics though po4 is closer to zero.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need to increase flow. With phosphate, it can be in tour system, but being used quicker then you can test for it. I added a Clearwater Algea Scrubber that is working really awesome to keep my systems clean.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perform the nitrate test again. Then hold the vial like this. If nitrate is less than 10 you read the test as such or take the nitrate number and divide by 10. My nitrates are above ten (I look down with the vial on top of the card) so have not been able to test out their lower range reading

BC0C6F02-F93F-42D4-AF52-A805D51651F7.jpeg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are getting your information with respect to accuracy of Salifert tests; they are among some of the most accurate of the ones out there.

As others have mentioned, if you don't trust them then Hanna digital readouts are probably more appropriate.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perform the nitrate test again. Then hold the vial like this. If nitrate is less than 10 you read the test as such or take the nitrate number and divide by 10. My nitrates are above ten (I look down with the vial on top of the card) so have not been able to test out their lower range reading

BC0C6F02-F93F-42D4-AF52-A805D51651F7.jpeg

Thanks for the reply! I did the low range test and the liquid is still clear without a hint of pink.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are at zero.Salifert nitrate is considered one of the most accurate and reliable. The Salifert po4 test although accurate does'nt have a low enough resolution for measuring in the 0.00 to 0.06 range. It has an error range of .03.
Based on your pics though po4 is closer to zero.
Not sure where you are getting your information with respect to accuracy of Salifert tests; they are among some of the most accurate of the ones out there.

As others have mentioned, if you don't trust them then Hanna digital readouts are probably more appropriate.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I have been reading the wrong information! I based it mostly on my lfs who didnt think Salifert was accurate, even though he sold them to me. Im more confident in the testresults now!

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need to increase flow. With phosphate, it can be in tour system, but being used quicker then you can test for it. I added a Clearwater Algea Scrubber that is working really awesome to keep my systems clean.

That could be the case! I do have two Tunze 6020 aimed at an angle to the front along with two other streamers so I thought my flow was sufficient for my 35 gal but I might have been overrating the flow, my sps are growing good though.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert NO3 is the best available NO3 test. Hold it sideways for 10x resolution, you could be at 0!

Thanks for the info and tip! I edited my top post since the part of tests not being acurate was clearly wrong!
I did try the low range test, looking trough the side of the vial but still its too pale to get a number. Guess I am zeroing my NO3 and PO4 at the moment.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have zero nitrates and phosphates you will know your corals will be very angry

I would think so too, I snapped these shots right now just to show the state of the tank, and all corals are open, showing polyps at the moment. Despite the slime spreading a bit.
IMG_20200529_184842-01.jpeg
IMG_20200529_184911-01.jpeg
IMG_20200529_184932-01.jpeg

IMG_20200529_184907-01.jpeg

I got some algae growing but I am not overrun or even considering it an issue.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I guess I have been reading the wrong information! I based it mostly on my lfs who didnt think Salifert was accurate, even though he sold them to me. Im more confident in the testresults now!
Many people struggle to see a distinct enough color change. That is usually the reason why they dont like the Salifert.
In this case we are seeing the same color as you so it appears you are seeing it right.
As for the Hanna checker if you decide to get one make sure you order the right one and the correct reagents because there are three different ones.
The one I use is the Hanna HI 736 phosphorus ULR.
It measures phosphorus and requires a unit conversion to a phosphate reading but will read as low as .003

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so too, I snapped these shots right now just to show the state of the tank, and all corals are open, showing polyps at the moment. Despite the slime spreading a bit.
IMG_20200529_184842-01.jpeg
IMG_20200529_184911-01.jpeg
IMG_20200529_184932-01.jpeg

IMG_20200529_184907-01.jpeg

I got some algae growing but I am not overrun or even considering it an issue.
Zero phosphates is more of a concern than zero nitrates in my opinion. As far as the algae can you run a fuge with some macro or an ATS it does help to isolate the algae to the sump rather than in your display

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero phosphates is more of a concern than zero nitrates in my opinion. As far as the algae can you run a fuge with some macro or an ATS it does help to isolate the algae to the sump rather than in your display

Thanks for the advice! But I do actually already run a fuge in my sump right now, and I harvest maybe 0,5 gallon bag of Chaeto every week so its definetly absorbing nutrients from the water.
I also have a skimmer, bio media and dry rock rubble in my sump, and a decent amount of liverock in my DT, so I might be too effective in reducing my nutrients then? Combined with some algae in the DT I guess there isnt alot left in the water column?
IMG_20200521_202527-01.jpeg

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can be a result of a n03 po4 imbalance which you have. It can also appear as a result of swings in no3 which you have. I would not usually suggest a carbon dosing method ( no-pox )for a tank this small.
Water changes and a feeding adjustment are much easier to control.
No-pox can be very aggressive and often results in imbalance and in a smaller water volume the problems can occur quickly.
If the tank were mine I would water change the problem away and then re-examine my food input, maybe try to track down which food is contributing the most to the no3 any cut it down or out completely.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back