Unsure what corals I should put in my tank

Pikachu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I bought my other corals around 2 months ago and they have been doing great (the fish too!) the tank has been setup for a while (id say like 4-5 months might be a little more). The corals I currently have are gsp, zoa, and some clove polyps. I was wondering what corals could I put in this tank? I am sort of out of ideas on what would look good. And when it comes to lps ive been worried about aggression due to lack of experience. I think I can take care of the easier lps my water seems good, not sure about sps. I put a photo of the tank below so you guys can see if you can recommend any corals, thanks! (Its a fluval sea evo 13.5)
E8385172-C922-45CF-8614-7CAD67B5AC37.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested in venturing into LPS, you might try a Duncan. They're pretty forgiving and will grow in a variety of lighting and flow patterns. Won't break the bank either. Plus, they look really cool flowing in the current. Just a thought.

OP
OP
P

Pikachu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms, Acans/micromussas, Duncans, hammer/frogspawn/torch, etc.
Frogspawn?? I read they were too agressive in small tanks. Dude I saw a pink frogspawn when I was visiting orlando the last week I could have bought it. It was really nice and only 50 bucks!!

OP
OP
P

Pikachu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into mushrooms and I might buy one, specially the hairy ones look nice, Im thinking putting it like 2-3 inches on the lower right of the zoa

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn?? I read they were too agressive in small tanks. Dude I saw a pink frogspawn when I was visiting orlando the last week I could have bought it. It was really nice and only 50 bucks!!

Yeah, you want to give it like 6 inches space all around, so a corner to itself in your tank could work.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I bought my other corals around 2 months ago and they have been doing great (the fish too!) the tank has been setup for a while (id say like 4-5 months might be a little more). The corals I currently have are gsp, zoa, and some clove polyps. I was wondering what corals could I put in this tank? I am sort of out of ideas on what would look good. And when it comes to lps ive been worried about aggression due to lack of experience. I think I can take care of the easier lps my water seems good, not sure about sps. I put a photo of the tank below so you guys can see if you can recommend any corals, thanks! (Its a fluval sea evo 13.5)
E8385172-C922-45CF-8614-7CAD67B5AC37.jpeg
Torch, hammer or frogspawn. Nice color plus movement. Imo

OP
OP
P

Pikachu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe in that little island where your gsp is and move your gsp or give it to someone in need so it doesn't take over your tank! :D
The gsp is glued its on that rock so it doesnt take over tho, I could always rearrange rocks and make another island with the gsp somewhere else

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i got into corals hammer corals and toadstool were my first with mushrooms

all forgiving corals

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into mushrooms and I might buy one, specially the hairy ones look nice, Im thinking putting it like 2-3 inches on the lower right of the zoa
If you like hairy mushrooms, you can’t go wrong with a WWC Magic Carpet. They look incredible. Most photos can’t do it justice.

1662336005250.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not everyone says don't add corals until worse off ugly phase been and gone,I see what looks like red furry/fuzzy algae and green furry/fuzzy algae on your rocks so if so I would be adding a few more cuc or scrubbing/pulling/ plucking/or blowing off rocks if cyano and if so then add more flow.
Now not saying algae is the devil and can't have any as algae part off having saltwater tank,for me I think it's free food for aone livestock aslong as doeant affect anything in tank.
Some algae can irritate or shade corals if grows around or above etc and if lots of algae can strip nutrients from water ( doesn't get rid off them, just binds it up in the algae until removed or dies then releases back into water column which then helps more algae grow or your cuc can eat it then poop it back out
But anyway just see what looks like red furry/fuzzy algae to left off rocks or even red slime algae and top right rocks green furry/fuzzy algae but hard to make out in blue lights .
But if me in new tank I would be going for the cheaper more harsier corals to start with
Little article on some comm9n algaes if interested and not already read

OP
OP
P

Pikachu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not everyone says don't add corals until worse off ugly phase been and gone,I see what looks like red furry/fuzzy algae and green furry/fuzzy algae on your rocks so if so I would be adding a few more cuc or scrubbing/pulling/ plucking/or blowing off rocks if cyano and if so then add more flow.
Now not saying algae is the devil and can't have any as algae part off having saltwater tank,for me I think it's free food for aone livestock aslong as doeant affect anything in tank.
Some algae can irritate or shade corals if grows around or above etc and if lots of algae can strip nutrients from water ( doesn't get rid off them, just binds it up in the algae until removed or dies then releases back into water column which then helps more algae grow or your cuc can eat it then poop it back out
But anyway just see what looks like red furry/fuzzy algae to left off rocks or even red slime algae and top right rocks green furry/fuzzy algae but hard to make out in blue lights .
But if me in new tank I would be going for the cheaper more harsier corals to start with
Little article on some comm9n algaes if interested and not already read
I have been meaning to clean that algae but I looks so good in my opinion. My corals seem to be growing and doing good so I did not have much of a reason too clean them but will definitely look into it and the article

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to clean that algae but I looks so good in my opinion. My corals seem to be growing and doing good so I did not have much of a reason too clean them but will definitely look into it and the article
Yeah I don't mind look of alot of algaes as think adds character to our tanks and aslong as not causing any negative effects and keep eye on it and test parameters all should be well, well least I hope so ^_^

OP
OP
P

Pikachu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't mind look of alot of algaes as think adds character to our tanks and aslong as not causing any negative effects and keep eye on it and test parameters all should be well, well least I hope so ^_^
Parameters looking good so far, I do not have a magnesium test (yet) so that is the only one I still need to check although is not important for the corals I currently own. If I end up buying lps I’ll definitely get a test and fix magnesium if needed

Back