Untapped tank: How would you add filtration to an undrilled cube?

How would you filter an undrilled cube?

• Turn it into an all-in-one.

Votes: 88 27.2%
  • Use a canister filter.

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Use a HOB overflow

Votes: 90 27.9%
  • Use a HOB filter

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • OtherUse it as a freshwater tank.

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 34 10.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Untapped tank: How would you add filtration to an undrilled cube?

There was a beautiful cube aquarium that was on display recently at Reef-a-Palooza Orlando that held approximately 60-gallons. Everything about the aquarium was stunning – it was a rimless tank, using low-iron glass, and the seams were perfect…but it wasn’t drilled. Let’s assume that the tank remains undrilled, how would you filter this beautiful undrilled cube? After all, drilling is not always an option for a variety of reasons. Turning a tank into an all-in-one (AIO) may seem like an obvious choice but a ready-made conversion kit may not be available, and a fair amount of DIY may be required. There may be some ways that are recommended and some ways that are not recommended – please share how you would add filtration to an undrilled cube.

PRO TIP: Increasing the frequency and amount of water changes, reducing the biological load (fish food, fish waste, etc.) in the tank, and stay current with water testing are some ways to manage the water parameters with lower levels of filtration.

JackRavensbergen_CubeReef.jpeg

Photo by @Jack_Ravenbergen; Reef of the Month April 2021

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner.png
“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I echo the sentiment of others. I would run that bad boy without a sump and the filtration would be the rock and water changes.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted HOB overflow. I would mount return pump high in the sump JUST IN CASE the overflow failed, that way pump runs dry real quick, limiting the flood.

That said, HOB filter, internal filter, DIY internal filter would also be an option. . . I have an idea for a "rock" filter. . . maybe some day I will build it. . .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would change a gallon of water daily and run it as a natural environment. Afterall, 20 -30 years ago, we had no sumps and ran power filters with Undergravel units and managed tanks just fine.
Then came overflow boxes with U-tubes which was a pain to prime the tube

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are YouTube Videos of AIO Tanks being drilled, I’ve thought about drilling my Oceanic Rescue. It is drill-able. I know someone that has a Sump, probably free, that will fit in my Cabinet below. The other choice would be a U Tube, over the top, and run a Luft Pump. Maybe one day I’ll just buy a used Coralife BioCube, that’s missing most of it‘s parts and drill it.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same footprint tank but i just bought a Fiji cube AIO drop in for the 40 breeder reef I'm building. just need to silicon into place, sleek looking, seems like an easy conversion. I'm also using an eshopps external overflow from a 125 gallon to a 40-breeder sump with the eschopps cliffhanger.... since I'm doing two of these options i guess the response depends on the application.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change a gallon of water daily and run it as a natural environment. Afterall, 20 -30 years ago, we had to sumps and ran power filters with Undergravel units and managed tanks just fine.
Then came overflow boxes with U-tubes which was a pain to prime the tube
Gawd you must be old like me to mention Under-gravel filtration and overflow Utube boxes lol..

I answered other

Amusing the user dosnt have the time to drill it out.
Options, design your own AIO and take the tank to a glass shop and get them to cut and glue it all in place which really wouldn't cost much.. That way if you design it you have already spec'd out a skimmer, return pump ect.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a external canister filter with one of my tanks but removed all the foams and media then filled it with smallish chunks of live rock and maxspect nano spheres. You should of seen the pineapple sponges and pods that canister filter supported. Never had any detritus build up was awesome.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a external canister filter with one of my tanks but removed all the foams and media then filled it with smallish chunks of live rock and maxspect nano spheres. You should of seen the pineapple sponges and pods that canister filter supported. Never had any detritus build up was awesome.
Thats an awesome idea! with that much flow youd have so much beneficial bacteria in there.. also you could proable toss in a bag of carbon to polish the water when needed.. That's a great idea imho

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a sumpless tank. For the most part, I know what I am doing and can handle nearly everything myself. However, there are things that people miss who have not done this, or just don't yet have enough experience. Everybody understands filtration for the nitrogen cycle and water changes, but there are more important things.

I still have a skimmer. I got an AquaC Urchin and a MaxiJet 1200 pump. These are the best of the HOB skimmers and work about like a regular cone skimmer like most Reef Octopus, CAD Lights or the like. They are not as good as a best-of-breed type of skimmer like the good ROs, LifeReef, etc., but they really help a sumpless tank.

Second, I had to get a HOB filter with surface skim. I got SeaChem Tidal. It surprised me at how well it skims the surface - it does as well as an overflow does. It has a media basket where you can put whatever you want in it - it come with ZeoLite, but I add little bags of GAC to catch the greasy junk that it skims from the surface.

In the end, the biggest issues with sump less tanks is surface organics. Not only do the keep light from penetrating as well, they also hinder gas exchange. For me, a skimmer and surface skim was paramount.

The tank is only a month old and I started it with real live rock, but I have mostly skipped the uglies and the Z&P that I put in there have doubled in size.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister plus carbon dosing. Although I’d place a false wall similar to an AIO yo hide the equipment yet not take up tank space since canister performs the biological. Add a HOB for floss and carbon since easier to maintain. Leave the canister just to break form detritus and solve ammonia and nitrites. I’m running something similar with the exception of the canister replaced with a custom undergravel plate taking up 25% tank volume driven by a Tidal 75. Keeping it simple.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its ok to use filters for optional items like biopellets, gfo, optional

but there isn't a time where the bioload in a reef tank will exceed the nitrification capacity of the cycled rock in the center mass, thereby making filtration unuseful other than to move currents. additional tip:

during power outages, those millions of extra bacteria we didnt need beyond live rock bacteria become a marked liability in the system. they compete against our fish for vital oxygen. filters only aren't harmful when the power runs, and then for a reef tank, they're not accomplishing anything we require other than water motion. filtration presents extra bioloading to a tank, those bacteria take up oxygen, produce acidic waste and in great numbers they comprise irritating compounds when left uncleaned.

fish only systems, freshwater systems, instances that run low surface area to bioload designs need filters...not reef tanks.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back