Untapped tank: How would you add filtration to an undrilled cube?

How would you filter an undrilled cube?

• Turn it into an all-in-one.

Votes: 88 27.2%
  • Use a canister filter.

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Use a HOB overflow

Votes: 90 27.9%
  • Use a HOB filter

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • OtherUse it as a freshwater tank.

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 34 10.5%

• Total voters

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course all that's doable but all the hang on stuff kinda kills clean aesthetics. Me, I prefer to see nothing but a tank, lights and obligatory powerheads.
That is why you paint the back of the tank, you cannot see it as much.
Being drilled is almost always better, but again stuff in the back.
It is always a compromise.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course all that's doable but all the hang on stuff kinda kills clean aesthetics. Me, I prefer to see nothing but a tank, lights and obligatory powerheads.
It depends on how you set up the tank. I have no sump but you can't see anything on the back of my tank. :D

kmzhq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
很惊喜,没想到您在这里活跃,感谢您的藻类相关的整理和列表。were意味着过去是,那现在情况呢?我个人是喜欢怎样的pico tank,我来这里主要是关注Brandon429d的动态,他是我心中的微缸大佬。
:面对面:

kmzhq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have three Untapped tanks and were healthy.
142312185 拷贝.jpg

2019.jpg

33311974 拷贝.jpg
all undrilled, no sump.

desperado915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a sumpless tank. For the most part, I know what I am doing and can handle nearly everything myself. However, there are things that people miss who have not done this, or just don't yet have enough experience. Everybody understands filtration for the nitrogen cycle and water changes, but there are more important things.

I still have a skimmer. I got an AquaC Urchin and a MaxiJet 1200 pump. These are the best of the HOB skimmers and work about like a regular cone skimmer like most Reef Octopus, CAD Lights or the like. They are not as good as a best-of-breed type of skimmer like the good ROs, LifeReef, etc., but they really help a sumpless tank.

Second, I had to get a HOB filter with surface skim. I got SeaChem Tidal. It surprised me at how well it skims the surface - it does as well as an overflow does. It has a media basket where you can put whatever you want in it - it come with ZeoLite, but I add little bags of GAC to catch the greasy junk that it skims from the surface.

In the end, the biggest issues with sump less tanks is surface organics. Not only do the keep light from penetrating as well, they also hinder gas exchange. For me, a skimmer and surface skim was paramount.

The tank is only a month old and I started it with real live rock, but I have mostly skipped the uglies and the Z&P that I put in there have doubled in size.
I also have a sumpless tank, a 40B. I set the tank up using equipment laying around from my freshwater planted tanks. I have found that my Seachem Tidal HOB's are great, but they don't do as well at surface skimming as an overflow. I use an AC 110 wiith this nifty surface skimmer attachment. I also run an inline UV sterilizer from a small Sicce Whale 200 cannister filter. Instead of a skimmer, I use a Santa Monica Drop 1,2 Algae Turf Scrubber. The system is quiet and works pretty dang good.
AC110 Over flow.JPG

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 gallon system has been running for over 20 years and it's undrilled. Equipment may be different but the science is still the same. None of my tanks are drilled.
an2_20230325_105047.jpg
an2_20230325_105043.jpg

Isla_Nut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untapped tank: How would you add filtration to an undrilled cube?

There was a beautiful cube aquarium that was on display recently at Reef-a-Palooza Orlando that held approximately 60-gallons. Everything about the aquarium was stunning – it was a rimless tank, using low-iron glass, and the seams were perfect…but it wasn’t drilled. Let’s assume that the tank remains undrilled, how would you filter this beautiful undrilled cube? After all, drilling is not always an option for a variety of reasons. Turning a tank into an all-in-one (AIO) may seem like an obvious choice but a ready-made conversion kit may not be available, and a fair amount of DIY may be required. There may be some ways that are recommended and some ways that are not recommended – please share how you would add filtration to an undrilled cube.

PRO TIP: Increasing the frequency and amount of water changes, reducing the biological load (fish food, fish waste, etc.) in the tank, and stay current with water testing are some ways to manage the water parameters with lower levels of filtration.

JackRavensbergen_CubeReef.jpeg

Photo by @Jack_Ravenbergen; Reef of the Month April 2021

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner.png
“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and We
We just went thru this. We converted our 62 gallon all in one that had poor filtration due to its terrible design. (Folks we talked to at WWC & Top Shelf agreed with us on this.) Removed the glass partition that made the sump & added a HOB filter & skimmer. So far we're having much more success with this option!

Last edited:
Back