Untreated intestinal parasites heal on their own?

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have been reading more about fish diseases lately and I realize that, when I first got my Yellow Watchman Goby, she had an intestinal parasite. She had white stringy poop. It didn't last long and it has been several months now.

Is there a possibility that it's just dormant and could come up again in the right conditions? Or is it more likely she defeated it and there's no issue now?

She seems perfectly healthy now. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have been reading more about fish diseases lately and I realize that, when I first got my Yellow Watchman Goby, she had an intestinal parasite. She had white stringy poop. It didn't last long and it has been several months now.

Is there a possibility that it's just dormant and could come up again in the right conditions? Or is it more likely she defeated it and there's no issue now?

She seems perfectly healthy now. Thanks!
Many internal parasites like hexamita are falcultative, they only cause harm in huge numbers, and some are normal gut inhabitants in lower numbers, in healthy fish. Other internal parasites have multiple hosts, so their life cycle can’t finish in aquariums. There are sOme nematodes that can continue to cause problems until treated, but your fish would still have symptoms then. Just be sure to feed the fish enough roughage to keep its gut moving, that flushed out the falcultative parasites. Frozen brine shrimp fed once a week is good for that. Don’t overdo it because it isn’t very nutritious.
Jay

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many internal parasites like hexamita are falcultative, they only cause harm in huge numbers, and some are normal gut inhabitants in lower numbers, in healthy fish. Other internal parasites have multiple hosts, so their life cycle can’t finish in aquariums. There are sOme nematodes that can continue to cause problems until treated, but your fish would still have symptoms then. Just be sure to feed the fish enough roughage to keep its gut moving, that flushed out the falcultative parasites. Frozen brine shrimp fed once a week is good for that. Don’t overdo it because it isn’t very nutritious.
Jay
Thanks, Jay! This is very helpful

Back