Unusual spots on Powder Brown Tang

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a powder brown tang that has hand some spots show up over the past couple days. I’m concerned that it’s ich or Velvet but with a heavy slime coat producing a weird trailing effect of the spots. What do you guys think?
c7c7b6fc034bdab97ff128ba1f705c56.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not velvet.

I think it may be anchor worms (or some other sort of worm) which are not very common in SW fish. It is a possibility. Can you see any type of fork tail at the end of the part hanging off the fish.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see any sign of a forktail. My plan was to freshwater dip and see what comes off. If they do fall off then try dosing the tank with prazipro.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait and see if it’s gone tomorrow. Might just be floaters stuck to his slime. Freshwater dip has to be hard on the fish

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see any sign of a forktail. My plan was to freshwater dip and see what comes off. If they do fall off then try dosing the tank with prazipro.
I would proceed with the FW dip and go from there :)

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this occured right after I added a couple new coral frags to the system. It began in black tang that is in the tank as well and then the over the course of yesturday spots started to show on the powder brown. This morning it had more spots then last night. Other fish show no spots. However, they tend be less susceptible to disease (melanarus, maroon clowns, midas blenny, and hawkish). Black tang seems to be with fewer spots today. Neither are showing symptoms other than the physical spots themselves.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would do freshwater dip. If it seems to clear, lower salinity to 1.023. See if that hyposalinity level works. You can also add a light dose of Prazipro.

kevhee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your tangs doing? My Chevron has the same thing, it kind of goes away on it's own and comes back.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your tangs doing? My Chevron has the same thing, it kind of goes away on it's own and comes back.

Everyone is doing great. There was never any loss of appetite or change in activity just those weird spots. I didn’t feel like stressing everything out so no freshwater dip. I went ahead a dosed a 3/4 portion of prazipro just to see what would happen over a 24 hr period. The spots went away but I can’t directly relate it to the prazi since my black tang had them as well but lost them before the treatment. As of now I will just continue to monitor and feed well.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a low dose a prazipro on Thursday and the spots went away but I figured this to be from the lifecycle of whatever it is on them. Yesterday I saw the black tang with spots again so i figured I do a full dose and see what happens. So I did a full dose yesterday afternoon and when I got in this morning the powder brown has the spots, as well as, this larger spot. You can see how these spots hang out like little strings. I have no issue a pulling all fish out and going fallow but then I still need a coarse of action for meds while in qt.
IMG_1675.JPG

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I did a low dose a prazipro on Thursday and the spots went away but I figured this to be from the lifecycle of whatever it is on them. Yesterday I saw the black tang with spots again so i figured I do a full dose and see what happens. So I did a full dose yesterday afternoon and when I got in this morning the powder brown has the spots, as well as, this larger spot. You can see how these spots hang out like little strings. I have no issue a pulling all fish out and going fallow but then I still need a coarse of action for meds while in qt.
IMG_1675.JPG
yes, these are flukes and Do continue w/ Prazi @ at least 3/4 recommended dose.
Glad to hear youre in the right direction !

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, these are flukes and Do continue w/ Prazi @ at least 3/4 recommended dose.
Glad to hear youre in the right direction !

So with dosing prazi late yesterday afternoon you don't think these would have fallen off the black tang and then still shown up on the Powder Brown tang? I thought prazi worked rather quickly. Thats why I was discouraged when I saw them this morning.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So with dosing prazi late yesterday afternoon you don't think these would have fallen off the black tang and then still shown up on the Powder Brown tang? I thought prazi worked rather quickly. Thats why I was discouraged when I saw them this morning.
PRAZI WILL TAKE AT LEAST 48-72 TO TAKE FULL EFFECT AND KEEP IN MIND YOU USED PARTIAL/LOW DOSE.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back