Unusual water chemistry

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RO well water and I’m pretty sure the lack of DI is my problem. I wonder if you have had this problem and if it will kill things.

Calcium 550
Dkh 13
Magnesium ~1700

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is high I'd definitely at least adjust that down before adding to the tank. The other thing that concerns me is what else might be in the water? What's your tds? 13 dkh can account for roughly 232 ppm tds so you'll need to account for all the other contaminates to make a true determination.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag over 1500 has some serious consequences. Are you sure its not a bad test?
Are you dosing?
What salt are you using?

Does it? What issues have you experienced? Back in the day (prior to things like fluconazole) we would routinely run stupid high mag to inhibit algae growth. I’ve run mag in the 1800+ range for years and never had issues. I know folks that have done 2000. I may just be lucky but I’ve never heard of issues?

OP
OP
Brittanyjo

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the well water. I’m purchasing a RODI. I thought RO would cover it. Any problems with high DKH?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the well water. I’m purchasing a RODI. I thought RO would cover it. Any problems with high DKH?

I suppose that depends on exactly how "high" it is after you mix your salt in. You may want to use a lower alk salt to compensate, or it may be totally fine.

Keep your nutrients "detectable" (no3, po4) with higher alkalinity. Really low nutrients and high alk can cause lots of issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back