Update, battle w/ dinos complete, pred tank, HI :)

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Been a few weeks, been battling some dinos which were KILLING my babies. (nems)

My tank had more dinos than most people had ever seen, toxic dinos all throughout the nems, by 12 o clock they were stretching across the whole tank, covered the sand, etc.

First of all I think people need to see this, I have started lots of successful tanks over the years and never stopped one due to a nuisance. The first thing is it can be fixed, easily.
Here is where most will disagree with me - Don't waste your money on a microscope to figure out what dinos you have. For gods sake, why would you do this?
Who cares, they are dinos, and if you want a successful tank then you need to elimate them the right way. If you restart your tank you will have the same problem.
Identify what you are doing wrong, WHY do you want a 0 nutrient system 6 months into owning a tank? SPS will survive in nitrates, eliminate your thought of needing 0 nitrates and phosphates.
If you are carbon or vodka dosing, throw it away and never do it again.
If you are starting new start with quality live rock, (gulf live rock) you wont have this issue.

If you started with dry rock thats fine. Heres what you do

If you see a couple dinos, and you have nitrates in your (young) tank, you do absolutely nothing. Yep thats right, nothing. Let them come and go, that's what generally happens. People on sites make people lose their freaking mind over nothing. Listen to this advice and chances are you will be fine.

Second, if they become a serious problem, harming your livestock, etc heres what you do:

First off, buy a huge cleaning crew, yea some are gonna die, but some of these people break their whole tank down. Go to reefcleaners and buy double what they recommend for your tank.

Third: No weird butt product for getting rid of nitrates (such as vodka) these people use vodka in huge systems, and some may show you a beautiful system where they use it, who cares, do what works. (NOT vodka dosing)
I have a tank with huge predators, huge nitrate problem, I found a method to easily control it, and that is by using seachem denitrate and 3/4 recommended dose in a reactor tuned down to about 20 gph. Simple, natural, cheap. Why are we suggesting new methods that are ridiculous?
This method I say is safe and natural without the nonsense dino)

Fourth: algae, I dont care if its nuisance algae, the worst algae in the world, its better than dinos, let it grow, you know why? It steals what the dinos need. Takes it, also takes your nitrates and po4.

5th: AND THE MOST IMPORTANT: feed that tank like you never have before. Fill it with the fish you want, I am not saying overstock it, but put the fish you want in, and feed them TRIPLE the normal amount, no less.

6th: be patient, dont expect a miracle in 40 hours. Stick to this process.

7th: do not let your nitrates get to 0, even in sps tank, test and adjust accordingly, pm me if u want help with this, 1 nitrate does not hurt sps)

TRUST this process and I can assure you dinos will be out of your tank, if you have listened to some of these clowns and dumped peroxide in your tank this may not work for you, I have not done that crazy nonsense.

Heres a vid of me trying to feed the starfish in a pred tank, those nems were almost dead from dinos 3 days ago, no dinos left, and I can assure the whole tank was brown last week.

Please, I know I don't stick to grammar well, but post this so people see it instead of using chemical methods which get people out of the hobby, its a simple process, please ask any questions, it will work, I've done it so many times.

bit twice today, stung by lion the other day, happy times. (don't worry a 12' tank is being built for these guys)

If you can see that nem on the right was splitting, since the dinos have been gone I have seen 10+ splits and bubbles returned, also two "pores" popped up, which are tiny rbtas that spawned via budding. (in random spots in the tank)

Also yerp thats a hydra over my sump, gotta love downsizing lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope people look at this who need help with dinos, I promise it will help, I hate seeing chemicals dumped into tanks, its wrong

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres my babies, they almost died the last week, If anyone has problems with dinos and nems, the thing to do is blast them with your powerhead each day, blow the toxic dinos off of them, also increase carbon media, never carbon dosing its terrible.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I dont know where to post, but me and this dude have gotten pretty close, I hand feed them all now :D (it was painful at first, few bites and stings)

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, buy a huge cleaning crew, yea some are gonna die, but some of these people break their whole tank down. Go to reefcleaners and buy double what they recommend for your tank.

i was under the impression nothing eats them.
At least nothing in my CUC seems to. So what would you recommend for eating them?

or are you saying keep nitrates up and get a larger CUC to clean up the resulting algae?

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was under the impression nothing eats them.
At least nothing in my CUC seems to. So what would you recommend for eating them?

or are you saying keep nitrates up and get a larger CUC to clean up the resulting algae?
Astreas eat them up for me. (though they dont even come close to keeping up w/ them) The thing I have noticed is when they are starved out essentially they just disappear. I know some people say they remain dormant and are just waiting to strike, this is silly, unless they are given the same conditions they were before they simply wont. Feeding lots and lots is the most important thing, as well as patience.
This process works.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astreas eat them up for me. (though they dont even come close to keeping up w/ them) The thing I have noticed is when they are starved out essentially they just disappear. I know some people say they remain dormant and are just waiting to strike, this is silly, unless they are given the same conditions they were before they simply wont. Feeding lots and lots is the most important thing, as well as patience.
This process works.

what is starving them though?
They need light and nutrients, you are giving them both? Maybe I am confused.

anyways I am going to take the approach of do nothing/feed heavy and hope it works.
My tank is quite new and have many ‘new tank uglies’ competing with each other right now.

i did test my nitrates last night and this morning and found that I should probably dose some nitrate to the tank daily to keep it up a bit as it was reading 0-5ppm

this would explain why the calupera prolifera in my tank has not grown as quickly as I wanted it to also.

i thought with 7 fish in my 120 id have more nitrates than this but i will keep a better eye on N/P levels and adjust as needed

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is starving them though?
They need light and nutrients, you are giving them both? Maybe I am confused.

anyways I am going to take the approach of do nothing/feed heavy and hope it works.
My tank is quite new and have many ‘new tank uglies’ competing with each other right now.

i did test my nitrates last night and this morning and found that I should probably dose some nitrate to the tank daily to keep it up a bit as it was reading 0-5ppm

this would explain why the calupera prolifera in my tank has not grown as quickly as I wanted it to also.

i thought with 7 fish in my 120 id have more nitrates than this but i will keep a better eye on N/P levels and adjust as needed
What you are doing by feeding the tank a lot is naturally increasing nutrient levels, this allows other things to compete with them. I should add its important to leave nuisance algae be during this period, I almost always leave it and let the CUC work it out over time.
I do not take the approach of dosing nitrates to the tank. I feed frozen cubes to my tank, I would suggest feeding 4-5 cubes a day during this time to your 120, or equivalent of other food.
Nitrates are going to spike at some point, it wont be right away, but it will happen and when it does it will be fairly sudden. The most important thing is to not panic, trying to instantly reduce them is not a good idea and the dinos will be back with a serious vengeance. I suggest the denitrate method I mentioned in a reactor using half the recommended media at first. If you can, it is good to keep nitrates around 5-20. Eventually you will get to a point where your system and the livestock in it an even manner that will eventually make everything very stable naturally. Having 7 fish is great, will make this process easier.
Not sure if you are running a fuge, but when the nitrates do spike, add some algae to it and let it go nuts.
Your dinos will be gone in a month or less :)

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are doing by feeding the tank a lot is naturally increasing nutrient levels, this allows other things to compete with them. I should add its important to leave nuisance algae be during this period, I almost always leave it and let the CUC work it out over time.
I do not take the approach of dosing nitrates to the tank. I feed frozen cubes to my tank, I would suggest feeding 4-5 cubes a day during this time to your 120, or equivalent of other food.
Nitrates are going to spike at some point, it wont be right away, but it will happen and when it does it will be fairly sudden. The most important thing is to not panic, trying to instantly reduce them is not a good idea and the dinos will be back with a serious vengeance. I suggest the denitrate method I mentioned in a reactor using half the recommended media at first. If you can, it is good to keep nitrates around 5-20. Eventually you will get to a point where your system and the livestock in it an even manner that will eventually make everything very stable naturally. Having 7 fish is great, will make this process easier.
Not sure if you are running a fuge, but when the nitrates do spike, add some algae to it and let it go nuts.
Your dinos will be gone in a month or less :)

yes but when you feed you’ll also introduce phosphates into the tank, which i have had trouble with in the past when they bind up in the rock/sand and become difficult to remove as the level was well over 5 ppm

don't get me wrong I am feeding them heavily but trying to supplement some nitrate directly to keep those levels up.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but when you feed you’ll also introduce phosphates into the tank, which i have had trouble with in the past when they bind up in the rock/sand and become difficult to remove as the level was well over 5 ppm

don't get me wrong I am feeding them heavily but trying to supplement some nitrate directly to keep those levels up.
Denitrate works to take care of phosphate as well my friend, your tank will thrive. It is natural porous, much like live rock. If used correctly I have found it as a miracle, I have no idea if people have used it in a reactor like this before, but I am serious, it works wonders.

Id be happy to send a photo of the way I have it set up, I never reduced light once, AI hydras over the tank and a hydra over the sump. Dunno if that helps, also, I saw increase in dinos mostly because of carbon dosing but I also introduced skimming at this time. Over and over again a fast decrease in nutrients causes these, but I assure anyone, they are easily taken care of, I am willing even to work with people, I am so certain and hate seeing people leave the hobby or introduce chemicals like peroxide, it can all be solved naturally. I had 25+ anemones in a tank with the worst dino outbreak I and some others have ever seen, they were essentially dead and this method saved it all.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can no longer edit the original but it is very important to add at least one piece of quality live rock, or several types of macro algae, the biodiversity is so important, I also seed all my tanks with pods, these I get from different sources, some people are picky, I have found they are usually what they say are, pods.

The tank in the video is by far my youngest out of three currently.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back