Update on Hawaii commercial collection of fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The battle for sustainable fishing grounds in mainly West hawaii is ongoing and since mid August, the atty general has not backed down. PIJAC has been instrumental in handling the cost and legal representation to fight this disrepect we aquarists have been enduring with no evidence that we are depleting the ocean as hobbyists of many tangs, wrasses and butterfly fish although thousands are recorded quarterly with the yellow Tang population in september estimated at 200,000. Naso tang is currently Banned from fishing and capture in West Hawaii.

Obviously, this has driven up prices for any that we can find in the hobby and the industry in whole is also suffering for such determinations.
An appeal has been filed but does not notate which direction this current order will go. What is needed is evidence that collection of these fish is Not sustainable and does damage to Hawaii's ecosystem and reefs.

During the period of hardship with Covid-19, its shocking that the state would still fight this as the fishing aspect is vital to many families who fish for livelihood with evidence of no harm thus far to ecosystem or fish populations. Should legislature win, they can put an end to both fish keeping and even the aquarium trade with such aquatic species.
If anyone is able to - write pijac and even donate to the fight to sustain our hobby and show in strength that we do care.

pijac.org/donate

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand why people think we are destroying these environments. In my opinion our world is changing and that's what's destroying these habitats. High temperatures, pollution, fishermen, and alot of other factors is why our reefs are falling apart. Without the coral trade I would be worried that these animals would go extinct forever. I mean if I can do it anyone can. I've had some of the same corals for 3 plus years and its giving me tons of frags for trading which I'm sure have grown more in others tanks. With the way the coral trade is we are what's preserving these creatures.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously...? Hawaii restricts this because the fish populations will be absolutely decimated because of collecting like the article below. You open it up and the schools of fish that are already depleted there will be even less. Hawaii's main source of income is tourism, not putting a Tang in your tank...

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brandon3152134, the below is not a natural occurrence

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my opinion I think keeping wild caught fish is just messed up. Imagine you get picked up, locked up in a small tiny room for the rest of your life. Not fun... Also anyone can buy fish including the unexperienced. many of the fish end up dying or put in small tanks.

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean I'd have to agree with the guy above me , it's not like fiji maticulrured industry , most people can find a job in Hawaii not related to fish collecting . If you want cheaper yellow tangs donate to the people that are actively trying to breed them in captivity . I do believe in sustainable fish collecting however If the numbers are actually going down by a lot , let mother nature try and bounce back .

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my opinion I think keeping wild caught fish is just messed up. Imagine you get picked up, looked up in a small tiny room for the rest of your life. Not fun... Also anyone can buy fish including the unexperienced. many of the fish end up dying or put in small tanks.
Really good point, Sam, there is a great future in the captive bred trade ! And even I have lost fish with all my long experience......

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brandon3152134, the below is not a natural occurrence

I didnt say any of the damage was natural it's just not caused by us

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Us? humans? We are the reason why corals are bleaching at a significant level. we are the reason for all the environmental issues :\
No I mean I dont feel like the aquarium trade is the first issue when it comes to fish population depletion. Pollution and other factors are much more damaging in my opinion. Fish collection should be highly regulated. I just think that the reefs are already on their way out and it doesnt seem to be changing for the better so the aquarium trade may be the last safe haven for these creatures. The best case scenario would be to clean up our oceans and leave the reefs completely alone but that will probably never happen

masna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2018 MACNA presentation from Dr. Bruce Carlson who has been instrumental with PIJAC in Hawaii, sure it's dated, but the conversation he presents here is still relevant!

What is a sustainable fishery, and how can we (as hobbyists) through healthy hobby activity and voicing our support and concerns impact it?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of fish taken for the aquarium hobby is so small in comparison to the number of fish taken through recreational and commercial fishing that it is simply not honest to claim the aquarium hobby has any impact whatsoever on Hawaiian fish populations.

You can feel free to shoot that Tang with a spear, or use it for bait, but if you keep it alive in your house? Now you're breaking the law.

The anti-aquarium lobbyists are not and never have been motivated by saving the environment, and if they achieve their goals it will not have any benefit for the environment.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize they are still appealing. I thought after the last study showing there was no damage to populations ended this madness for now.
The anti-aquarium lobbyists are not and never have been motivated by saving the environment, and if they achieve their goals it will not have any benefit for the environment.
This is the most important part to remember. You couldn't pay me to visit Hawaii, I would never consider going there despite the fact I'd love to visit Waikiki Aquarium.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EMeyer, there's a lot more to it than that. The areas you speak of that you can spear anything have very limited life in comparison to the protected areas on each of the islands. Those people spearing everything absolutely have a factor in the ecosystem there as well, see below article. I cant tell you how many times I have been disgusted when I get out of the water and find discarded fish at the showers, because the fish they gathered were too small...

You have to go to Hanauma or any of the reserves like that to see large adult fish. It's articles like the guy collecting hundreds of fish for the fish trade on one swoop that are going to make the legal changes not happen. The thing is that guy got caught, how many times has he done this before? How many other people are doing this and not caught?

A lot of the locals would tell me about certain bays where you could stand at the waters edge and see huge pools of yellow as schools of yellow tang swam across the rocks. I have seen this once and it is absolutely an awe inspiring sight, that is a rare instance now.

Unless you live in Hawaii, or understand how that land was taken you wont understand why the people of Hawaii fight so much for their natural resources. Then add that anyone in a government role wont want anything to happen to their main source of income, like I mentioned above, tourism. Those fish being in the water are a major factor in what drive people to come to the islands.

The only way I can see the fish trade becoming something in Hawaii, is if they somehow manage to get a fishery started. The above factors will make it hard to pass, as a lot of the people who end up moving their are more aligned with animal rights views. Outside of that, I agree with what @tautog83 mentioned. There are company's that are actively breeding species for the fish trade that are a more viable option.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I'm coming across wrong, but this is something I am super passionate about. One of the main reasons I got into this hobby was to understand coral growth so that I could bring that understanding back to the islands with me and volunteer with the University of Hawaii.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I'm coming across wrong, but this is something I am super passionate about. One of the main reasons I got into this hobby was to understand coral growth so that I could bring that understanding back to the islands with me and volunteer with the University of Hawaii.
No wrong answers everyone is just discussing their opinions. Its futile to get mad at someone you dont even know because of their opinion.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No wrong answers everyone is just discussing their opinions. Its futile to get mad at someone you dont even know because of their opinion.
No worries. It’s a great topic of concern and one that can bring debate.
One one hand ... we want to preserve the ocean, island and its resources whereas on the other hand, we want to be able to purchase and sustain what we purchase for beauty and enjoyment.
I have a group of yellow tangs and has been for quite some time and am elated that I have provided an environment and diet for them as the ocean would
There in one section of the Hawaii islands over estimated 200,000 yellow tangs which is awesome to hear
At least we know despite collection of them that we have not depleted their numbers to a point of making them scarce
Thank you again for feedback

Back