Update on Hawaii commercial collection of fish.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Collection is still allowed but by regulation and inspection with a special permit

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What exactly does that mean? The few collectors in Hawaii I know of have said they are done after yesterday's ruling.
Well, I just checked with someone from Pijac and apparently those permits will come to an end:

Anyone who takes marine life for commercial purposes must have a commercial marine license (CML) issued by the Department of Land and Natural Resources’ Division of Aquatic Resources (DAR). This requirement applies to all kinds of take of aquatic resources, including commercial aquarium collection
The Court’s ruling explains that none of the current CMLs may be used for commercial aquarium collection.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope my YT lives long.

If I can’t find a replacement captive bred, then so be it, no YT.

If this means I may leave a better world for my children, even better.

Once gone, it’s just too late. Once we push things out of existence, we may start a chain in events that will affect everyone.

We catch and cut the fins off from sharks, then throw the rest back.

All for soup.

Commercial is more about money, and less about environment.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That is snorkel Bob the guy who started all this against the hobby.

He also runs a scuba outfit. As a scuba diver myself they also do allot of damage to the reef. Matter of fact allot of them do lots because they know very little about the reef enviroment.

Hawaii issue is pollution, tourism and destruction of habitat not the reef hobby. Tourism, boating, fishing, scuba, snorkeling , surfing etc are pushing fish farther out because of all the activity close to shore.

michael23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battle for sustainable fishing grounds in mainly West hawaii is ongoing and since mid August, the atty general has not backed down. PIJAC has been instrumental in handling the cost and legal representation to fight this disrepect we aquarists have been enduring with no evidence that we are depleting the ocean as hobbyists of many tangs, wrasses and butterfly fish although thousands are recorded quarterly with the yellow Tang population in september estimated at 200,000. Naso tang is currently Banned from fishing and capture in West Hawaii.

Obviously, this has driven up prices for any that we can find in the hobby and the industry in whole is also suffering for such determinations.
An appeal has been filed but does not notate which direction this current order will go. What is needed is evidence that collection of these fish is Not sustainable and does damage to Hawaii's ecosystem and reefs.

During the period of hardship with Covid-19, its shocking that the state would still fight this as the fishing aspect is vital to many families who fish for livelihood with evidence of no harm thus far to ecosystem or fish populations. Should legislature win, they can put an end to both fish keeping and even the aquarium trade with such aquatic species.
If anyone is able to - write pijac and even donate to the fight to sustain our hobby and show in strength that we do care.

pijac.org/donate

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously...? Hawaii restricts this because the fish populations will be absolutely decimated because of collecting like the article below. You open it up and the schools of fish that are already depleted there will be even less. Hawaii's main source of income is tourism, not putting a Tang in your tank...

With all due respect….you’re full of it.
Look at the science. It’s overwhelmingly in support of this sustainable fishery.Keep in mind, your position is predicated on a poaching incident after the moratorium took effect. This doesn’t occur when legal, and well managed fishing is allowed.

the resource can EASILY sustain the fishery and this has now been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt through a rigorous environmental review.
do you still dislike us now?

Back