View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210904_114251.jpg
20210904_114241.jpg
20210906_161200.jpg
20210906_161208.jpg

So this is my first tank on my own and wanted to hear any thoughts/advice from people. I have right now 3 hermits, 5 snails, 2 damsels, 1 green star polyp, small cluster of zoas and the chaos zoa. All my water parameters are awesome (i haven't tested alk, calc or magn yet tho waiting for test kits). I have had the tank about a month and a half now and I have been slowly adding stuff.

Tank: Fiji 38g AIO W/ subermisble pump
Light: Radeon xr30 blue x1
Powerhead: Nero 5
Heater: don't remember the name but it is a typical high end tube heater
I started the tank with two biocubes that my local store threw in their tank to help acclimate mine. All my animals so far look great and I am gonna try an LPS in two weeks (torch).

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210904_114251.jpg
20210904_114241.jpg
20210906_161200.jpg
20210906_161208.jpg

So this is my first tank on my own and wanted to hear any thoughts/advice from people. I have right now 3 hermits, 5 snails, 2 damsels, 1 green star polyp, small cluster of zoas and the chaos zoa. All my water parameters are awesome (i haven't tested alk, calc or magn yet tho waiting for test kits). I have had the tank about a month and a half now and I have been slowly adding stuff.

Tank: Fiji 38g AIO W/ subermisble pump
Light: Radeon xr30 blue x1
Powerhead: Nero 5
Heater: don't remember the name but it is a typical high end tube heater
I started the tank with two biocubes that my local store threw in their tank to help acclimate mine. All my animals so far look great and I am gonna try an LPS in two weeks (torch).

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)
I think your issue in the future will be the two damsels, they can get aggressive (depending on what sp they are) and usually won’t like other more peaceful fish

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your issue in the future will be the two damsels, they can get aggressive (depending on what sp they are) and usually won’t like other more peaceful fish
I have a buddy that will be taking them in the future when I plan to get clown fish and other fish that will play well!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy that will be taking them in the future when I plan to get clown fish and other fish that will play well!
Okay, that’s good also if you ever plan on a tang I recommend adding it last because they can tend to become proper bullies unless it’s a Ctenochaetus (my C. binotatus has seemed to be the most peaceful in the genus but it probably ranges depending on the fish)

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that’s good also if you ever plan on a tang I recommend adding it last because they can tend to become proper bullies unless it’s a Ctenochaetus (my C. binotatus has seemed to be the most peaceful in the genus but it probably ranges depending on the fish)
I am not too sure on a tang, I know they are great fish but I think a 40g like mine is a little small for them no?
I was thinking of two clowns a mandarin, shrimp and fire fish
What tang would you recommend?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not too sure on a tang, I know they are great fish but I think a 40g like mine is a little small for them no?
If there is a 4’ (3’ minimum) diagonal then you could maybe get the smaller of the Ctenochaetus tangs, stay away from things like the chevron

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why they are recommending a tang to you, a 40g tank is only a temporary home for any tang species.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why they are recommending a tang to you, a 40g tank is only a temporary home for any tang species.
Yeah I have heard its a topic some people say its fine others not, I probably won't do a tang I'm primarily going to focused on the animals listed above and as many corals as possible :). Any other tips/advice you have on the tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have heard its a topic some people say its fine others not, I probably won't do a tang I'm primarily going to focused on the animals listed above and as many corals as possible :). Any other tips/advice you have on the tank?
Oh, you were assuming I meant a permanent home? Sorry, should’ve clarified.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do gallons very well, I struggle to convert them to litres so I assumed it was a 3’ tank, but also I didn’t mean to say it could be a permanent home

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my toadstool leather. Very easy to care for, absolutely gorgeous, and creates great movement in the flow. I’m also a big fan of my hammer garden for the same reasons, although they are slightly more difficult. You can see both in the most recent video I posted in my build thread.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back