OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you show me a link anywhere in reefing that allows one to predict a cycle's status off a written brief paragraph by a web poster, and then have all the stated timing confirmed after the fact without one shred of doubt the entire time

because if so, I'll refer to that article's definition

I have been using the details from updated cycling science for several more months now, thought it would be fun to start linking a few examples again. old cycling science is having a strong resurgence, false cycle stalls are really taking off we're heading back in time vs forward

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's an example of the reverse, old cycling science:

does this reef appear to be in ammonia distress, could it be?
absolutely nothing changed in the tank. Its been running a while, stocked, yet a non digital test kit says the cycle is broken one day and if you saw the thread, the umpires agree.

absolutely no other confirmation was sought nor required, the non digital ammonia test kit said there was concerning ammonia, and the umpires simply agreed. that's old cycling science. there are several markers in that tank we can use visually to prove there's no ammonia distress at all, but we have to use a different rule set than the old ways of discerning cycle status.

*In contrast
per the visual benthic clue details here below, I 100% believe this tank isn't currently controlling it's ammonia.

first one I've seen that's believable all year long. in my opinion this is two more times of using visual cues in pics or video to determine a cycle's status, without testing required. one is a for-sure no ammonia issue, the other is an expected ammonia issue.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you show me a link anywhere in reefing that allows one to predict a cycle's status off a written brief paragraph by a web poster, and then have all the stated timing confirmed after the fact without one shred of doubt the entire time

because if so, I'll refer to that article's definition

I have been using the details from updated cycling science for several more months now, thought it would be fun to start linking a few examples again. old cycling science is having a strong resurgence, false cycle stalls are really taking off we're heading back in time vs forward
Honestly Brandon - you lost me ages ago with the extremely lengthy pseudo-scientific posts and your uncanny ability to turn even the simplest conversation into a "cycling science" opus.

I too, long ago lost track of the myriad of terms and phrases you have attempted to coin and make mainstream in your quest to redefine "cycling" and turn it into a new reefing science.

On one hand I (honestly) applaud your dedication to the subject and your desire to understand it, but on the other I can't fathom how you think this does anything but confound anybody who participates in one of these threads, especially beginners. I can only imagine how frustrating and confusing this becomes for those new and simply wanting put some fish and coral into a tank and ask how to get started.

Also you posted this on the opening thread
1693421485556.png

So don't trust titrations with your eyes, but do trust your eyes and a paragraph to judge a "cycle's" state? :)

Anyway - I will let you get back to visual umpiring, assuming that there is anybody left wishing to play ball...

Last edited:

sesbalders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Brandon - you lost me ages ago with the extremely lengthy pseudo-scientific posts and your uncanny ability to turn even the simplest conversation into a "cycling science" opus.

I too, long ago lost track of the myriad of terms and phrases you have attempted to coin and make mainstream in your quest to redefine "cycling" and turn it into a new reefing science.

On one hand I (honestly) applaud your dedication to the subject and your desire to understand it, but on the other I can't fathom how you think this does anything but confound anybody who participates in one of these threads, especially beginners. I can only imagine how frustrating and confusing this becomes for those new and simply wanting put some fish and coral into a tank and ask how to get started.

Also you posted this on the opening thread
1693421485556.png

So don't trust titrations with your eyes, but do trust your eyes and a paragraph to judge a "cycle's" state? :)

Anyway - I will let you get back to visual umpiring, assuming that there is anybody left wishing to play ball...
Having cycled 100s of tropical tanks and now half way through my second marine tank. I recon put some live sand in it, live rock in there as much as you can, get it dirty with something smelly. Wait for the ammonia to go up and down, wait for the nitrates to go up and down a bit. Fire some snails in. (Cuz they are cheap and the kids don’t cry when they die). Stress out about adding some fish, get tempted and buy some fish. Put them in and stress out they are going to die. Get diatoms then get gha bha in fact all the ha’s. Scrub vacuum, water change, blackout, snails crabs urchins, blennies, scrub some more, bit of scraping. Then eventually one glorious day it’s all done and your tank looks like a scene from
Finding memo. Put your feet up. Watch the fish. Justify that you’ve got the money and room for another tank. Repeat process!!!

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hesitant to resurrect this thread and am not worried about the nitrogen cycle but am curious what you @brandon429 mean by disease prep?

You reference it several times and link to the disease sub-forum but I'm confused as there's nothing there that uses the same terminology unless you're just talking about a quarantine process?

Also, you reference a pre-fish fallow period but what benefit does that provide? The definition of fallow I'm familiar with is removing all of the livestock from a tank after an outbreak to let the disease/parasite "die out" before re-adding them.

I would greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else is able to elaborate.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump, I've used the info in this thread to fix cycles all year long/ this thread here below is a great example of bucking current quick- stocking trends in favor of disease control:

Highlights:

Thanks to quick cycle science *nobody* is having trouble getting ammonia control in place in a reef tank after a basic cycling setup and ten or more days wait (for dry start cycles, cured live rock transfers are always skip cycle setups)

Disease planning is what takes all your effort and measure and planning per above, not the cycle, that part is easy and predictable we show after any common setup attempt.

Reef tank cycles don't stall out, that's a made up risk by bottle bac salesmen to sell us multiple bottles of bacteria

If you are adding quarantined fish first after the cycle end date then you run two tanks: the other is a receiving tank for new corals or clean up crews that get fallowed before addition into the main display. That receiving tank is cleaned out and sterilized for each new addition group

Or you can do what the thread above did, stock the reef completely with inverts and corals and rocks first, and save fish to the very last after the whole tank has been fallowed all at once removing the need for a two tank setup to mitigate disease vectoring

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishy Guy this article should be stickied in that forum but it’s not

that presents disease control as an ongoing ordered set of steps that controls all inputs to the tank vs quarantine alone

Glad to have the input for the big picture tie in needed

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish can a person add after a cycle is complete?

let's check for trends between old and new cycling science posted there.

able to call a cycle complete off one sentence provided in the post? Let’s see:

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More jobs worked using updated cycling science

Mini cycles don't happen, that's why I said her tank isn't in ammonia distress even before seeing pictures. Now we watch her tank to see if it crashes or lives.

A new setup cycles called complete based on visual benthic growth clues, testing did not factor.

That's two more ammonia control jobs worked on opposite ends of the issue spectrum without testing.

To handle 100% of cycle issues without using ammonia test kits is updated cycling science. Old cycling science is never predictive its hesitant, misleading, and based solely on a test kits reading. Old cycling science is never certain about a cycles completion it's cautious and hesitant.

We define exact confident cycle end dates and we invite all seneye audits.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back