New corals added - Welcome to my private island! Enjoy your stay :)

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa came early :)
image.jpg

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great following your build! I just started my new Reefer 250 build. All equipment and parts ordered and in various stages of transit to me. My tank, stand and lights should be arriving this Friday or fist part of next week!

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great following your build! I just started my new Reefer 250 build. All equipment and parts ordered and in various stages of transit to me. My tank, stand and lights should be arriving this Friday or fist part of next week!

Thank you! Exciting isn't it? :) This is a great forum and lots of people with experience.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY LIGHT MOUNT

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Looking good. The Ecotech arms are so expensive and it saves me lots of money DIY. Also, I don't like that the ecotech arms are sagging a bit.
I don’t find them to be too saggy. Expensive though- yes. If I wasn’t in an apartment I would have gotten a T5 hybrid and hung from the ceiling

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find them to be too saggy. Expensive though- yes. If I wasn’t in an apartment I would have gotten a T5 hybrid and hung from the ceiling
As long as you are happy. :) For me, if Ecotech charge me that much for a mounting arm, I want it to be perfect and I don’t want to see any sagging at all.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Besta IKEA model do you have?
I have IKEA besta frame. I want to build false wall within the frame. I bought a plywood from Home Depot and will be using it for the false wall and use corner bracket. I got these screws just now. Any concerns?

image.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have IKEA besta frame. I want to build false wall within the frame. I bought a plywood from Home Depot and will be using it for the false wall and use corner bracket. I got these screws just now. Any concerns?

image.jpg
Okay so I missed the obvious question, “Where is the cabinet going?” The plywood is for a partition in the cabinet to route cables and cords behind and to mount electronic boxes to? Is your plywood cut to the right size? The screw length you will want depends on the thickness of the plywood and the thickness of the cabinet panels. You will want the screws to go half to three quarters the way into the wood. Just hold the screw up to the panel and eye ball it.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about buying lumber and plywood at The Home Depot is that they will cut it to the size you want it right in the store before you buy it, just ask them.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@canadianeh an easier way to find a good pilot hole bit is take the size screw you have: #8, and ask at the hardware store to get you a drill bit for making pilot holes for a #8 screw. The number followed by the hashtag is the number for the screw’s thickness.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I missed the obvious question, “Where is the cabinet going?” The plywood is for a partition in the cabinet to route cables and cords behind and to mount electronic boxes to? Is your plywood cut to the right size? The screw length you will want depends on the thickness of the plywood and the thickness of the cabinet panels. You will want the screws to go half to three quarters the way into the wood. Just hold the screw up to the panel and eye ball it.
The cabinet is going right next to my tank. There will be access to the cables behind the plywood and I will not cover it. You can’t see the behind unless you want to. The cabinet is the plywood is about 0.5”.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%

Back