Updated to 5.3 now ph reads 0 then normal

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded full new install of 5.3 on a new SD card. All seems well except for ph reading will randomly drop either blow the correct valve or to 0 and then start working again. The real odd part about it is I have Reef-Kivy installed and running on a 7in display and it never drops out like the Reef-pi UI Does. From my understanding they are both reading from the same source. I put my old SD card with 5.1 reboot ph reads fine. 0C44B007-818A-4F06-9FD1-B6E8060522ED.png

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded full new install of 5.3 on a new SD card. All seems well except for ph reading will randomly drop either blow the correct valve or to 0 and then start working again. The real odd part about it is I have Reef-Kivy installed and running on a 7in display and it never drops out like the Reef-pi UI Does. From my understanding they are both reading from the same source. I put my old SD card with 5.1 reboot ph reads fine. 0C44B007-818A-4F06-9FD1-B6E8060522ED.png

I’m using Robo-Tank anyone having same problem with Reef-pi update. @robsworld78 any ideas? No errors logged other that 1 for under voltage detected 31BC5657-7162-4759-A245-AB2749E1F35C.png

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe verify a couple lines in the /boot/config.txt file. Here's the commands to run.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

This will open a file, scroll down and find the following two lines.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

It's possible these are on the same line separated by a comma, if so delete the comma and add a new line between them like above. Also check to see if there are duplicates of these lines.

Then press CTRL + S on the keyboard to save and then CTRL + X to exit. Then reboot the controller and the change will take effect.

Does the under voltage error happen the same time the pH dropped to 0? As there was under voltage reported I wonder if the main power supply for the controller is a little soft when a load comes on, do you see any correlation with equipment switching and that error?

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe verify a couple lines in the /boot/config.txt file. Here's the commands to run.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

This will open a file, scroll down and find the following two lines.

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

It's possible these are on the same line separated by a comma, if so delete the comma and add a new line between them like above. Also check to see if there are duplicates of these lines.

Then press CTRL + S on the keyboard to save and then CTRL + X to exit. Then reboot the controller and the change will take effect.

Does the under voltage error happen the same time the pH dropped to 0? As there was under voltage reported I wonder if the main power supply for the controller is a little soft when a load comes on, do you see any correlation with equipment switching and that error?

I got It fixed as I mentioned I did a complete install a version 5.3 on a new SD card then I uploaded the back up I made of my Reefpi 5.1 from my other SD card and working system. Normally I would download and install Reefpi from Robo-Tank‘s website preconfigured for my Robo-Tank system and then upgrade from there. I thought it was best to do a complete fresh install version 5.3 that I download it from GitHub considering the issues I’ve had in the past with Reefpi . I had already checked what @robsworld78 posted here along with the things that @Sral posted in the other thread. None of them seem to be the problem. To answer @robsworld78 what the low-voltage concern only happened randomly did not appear to have anything to do with the pH reading or any device is turning on never had a problem until doing the new Reefpi install. So I went back to basics and did things the way I did in the past. I reflash my SD card with a fresh version a raspberry pi operating system with desktop so I could run Kivy- reef and then download it and installed Reefpi from Robo-Tank’s website which is version 4.3. Then upgraded to version 5.3 and all the problems went away. Don’t know what happened at this point I really don’t care things are working properly to some extent some reason my dosing pump those 10 seconds worth of RedSea Reef Foundation B in stead of what I had set up at five seconds have to wait till tomorrow to see what happens fortunately no negative affects on my tank. I do have a question for @robsworld78 on flow meters and the accuracy Reef-pi and his program you wrote for reading flow sensors I have two flow sensors both in the same system one before and one after my chiller and they both read the same but they are way far less than what the pump spec says they should be the max I can get is 70 gallons an hour on a pump rated for 520 gallons an hour With a 3 m head pressure. The pump only has to pump up less than a meter and I know for a fact that my chiller is not that restrictive so my question is is the flow meter right or is the Chinese Jebao pump way overrated any ideas other than taking a bucket and measuring how many gallons per minute I get to verify the accuracy of the flowmeters I thank you I appreciate all the help thank you @robsworld78 and @Sral for all the help you’ve given me. One other question for @robsworld78 Is there any other manuals other than the one you published which is very nice and the information on GitHub auto fruit and this form has on setting up reef pie and drivers for devices like Shelly, home assistant or Tasmota .I would greatly appreciate any direction that you could point me in to finding out how to configure and use them in Reefpi thank you again. Oh and what is OneShot

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got It fixed as I mentioned I did a complete install a version 5.3 on a new SD card then I uploaded the back up I made of my Reefpi 5.1 from my other SD card and working system. Normally I would download and install Reefpi from Robo-Tank‘s website preconfigured for my Robo-Tank system and then upgrade from there. I thought it was best to do a complete fresh install version 5.3 that I download it from GitHub considering the issues I’ve had in the past with Reefpi . I had already checked what @robsworld78 posted here along with the things that @Sral posted in the other thread. None of them seem to be the problem. To answer @robsworld78 what the low-voltage concern only happened randomly did not appear to have anything to do with the pH reading or any device is turning on never had a problem until doing the new Reefpi install. So I went back to basics and did things the way I did in the past. I reflash my SD card with a fresh version a raspberry pi operating system with desktop so I could run Kivy- reef and then download it and installed Reefpi from Robo-Tank’s website which is version 4.3. Then upgraded to version 5.3 and all the problems went away. Don’t know what happened at this point I really don’t care things are working properly to some extent some reason my dosing pump those 10 seconds worth of RedSea Reef Foundation B in stead of what I had set up at five seconds have to wait till tomorrow to see what happens fortunately no negative affects on my tank. I do have a question for @robsworld78 on flow meters and the accuracy Reef-pi and his program you wrote for reading flow sensors I have two flow sensors both in the same system one before and one after my chiller and they both read the same but they are way far less than what the pump spec says they should be the max I can get is 70 gallons an hour on a pump rated for 520 gallons an hour With a 3 m head pressure. The pump only has to pump up less than a meter and I know for a fact that my chiller is not that restrictive so my question is is the flow meter right or is the Chinese Jebao pump way overrated any ideas other than taking a bucket and measuring how many gallons per minute I get to verify the accuracy of the flowmeters I thank you I appreciate all the help thank you @robsworld78 and @Sral for all the help you’ve given me. One other question for @robsworld78 Is there any other manuals other than the one you published which is very nice and the information on GitHub auto fruit and this form has on setting up reef pie and drivers for devices like Shelly, home assistant or Tasmota .I would greatly appreciate any direction that you could point me in to finding out how to configure and use them in Reefpi thank you again. Oh and what is OneShot
Sounds like the I2C setting that @robsworld78 mentioned one post earlier was the culprit:
When you install Reef-Pi from GitHub, it only sets up Reef-Pi itself, but doesn’t adjust any Raspbian OS settings for I2C.
When you install Reef-Pi with the Robo-Tank install, it also handles these settings, which the pH circuit needs to function properly.

About the rest:
I started a new appropriately named thread.

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure how accurate those flow meters are, I only recommend using them for a reference, can't image them being that great for the price. The code is what you would find in a lot of examples which I assume it's ok. As @Sral mentioned in the other thread how its mounted is important.

Sorry I don't have any manuals on the advance features or other integrations, if you have any specific questions start a thread and hopefully someone can chime in.

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have not been able to reproduce this. all my builds running 5.3 and has not shown any of issue so far. i'll keep testing
Don't worry about it after doing fresh install everything working fine probably just a strange computer flitch i seem to have that issue with a lot of computers. Would thought like if you could shied some light on config drivers and setup for shelly 2.5 for control and energy monitoring and Tasmota especially to use for esp32 and esp8226 (NodeMCU). For controlling item outside my house like my RO and mixing station which is out by my well pump. I moved my system out there to be able to reclaim the waste water from my RO which is about 75% of the water that goes to the RO and return it back to my aerator tank instead of just having it go down the drain. Along with MQTT Is there any advance manual for reef-p other than what you have on github, Adafruit.Io searching this forum and hoping some will ta the time to help or the very informative manual @robsworld78 put together. I'm a Ford Certified Senior Master Tech give me a manual with the information on how the system works engine gas,diesel, EV, hybrid, or CNG. Manual or auto trans electrical networking ect i can fix things event the engineers who designed it can figure out what's wrong as long as i know how it supposed to work. I'm not a programmer but i can figure out just about anything with a manual. I have 30 years worth of saltwater aquarium/reef keeping knowledge that i'm willing to share. FYI i posted a thread on Jebao-Jecod pump and trying to control them with Reef-pi and PWM that you commented on. Coral Box make a controller for Jebao-Jecod that works on the 0-10v control system that Apex controller use that we can use on Reef-pi.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just updated from 5.1 to 5.3 from within ReefPi UI and now I'm having the same problem. Ph went from 8.2 to 0.06 on a RoboTank 1 RevB.

EDIT: it seems to be bouncing from 0.00 to 8.2-8.19. So it seems intermittent.

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try the c++ script provided by @robsworld78 over in another pH problem thread.

If that gives strange readings as well it might be an I2C problem.
I may have to play with that later. I have a backup SD card, so I just popped out the 5.3 one and popped in a backup of my 5.1 so I'm back up and running 5.1 and Ph is working fine.

I'm going to make a test-bench on a RasPi 3A+ that I have and test it out at some point, for now I'll just stay on 5.1 as everything is working.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I popped the old SD car into another PI, booted and SSH'ed in. The issue was what @robsworld78 described and posted the fix for above. Both items were on the same like, separated by a comma. Removed the comma and moved them to their own line and everything is back to normal.

I'm I'm curious what else might have gotten jacked up in the update. :face-with-raised-eyebrow:

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread right as I was about to e-mail Rob for the same issue. Updated to 5.3 and my pH is going from 8 to -1 intermittently. Pulling my hair out looking at my graph peaks and valleys.

That said, the suggestion above was the fix! Move them to their own line and it's rock solid stable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 2.40.34 PM.png

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just found this thread right as I was about to e-mail Rob for the same issue. Updated to 5.3 and my pH is going from 8 to -1 intermittently. Pulling my hair out looking at my graph peaks and valleys.

That said, the suggestion above was the fix! Move them to their own line and it's rock solid stable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 2.40.34 PM.png

On an unrelated note, how did you add the Min/Max to your card in HA? Mine doesn't show it . :(
1661121232061.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the trouble guys, this was my fault, definitely not the reef-pi update. There was a problem in my install script that makes those changes, it was combining those two lines with the comma. A while ago when it was discovered I fixed it but it appears I failed to upload it. :( I have now so this shouldn't happen again.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the trouble guys, this was my fault, definitely not the reef-pi update. There was a problem in my install script that makes those changes, it was combining those two lines with the comma. A while ago when it was discovered I fixed it but it appears I failed to upload it. :( I have now so this shouldn't happen again.

Considering I this has been the only "issue" I've had with Robotank in nearly two years that I've had it, I think you did fine.

Back