Updating our 55 gal saltwater tank - need help!

Kori Diercks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I have had our 55 gallon saltwater tank for 5 years now. Recently we have noticed the pump inside the sump isn't working and want to replace it but we honestly have NO idea where to turn or what to buy. Our set up was bought used from a guy about an hour north from us and he actually passed away several months after we got everything set up. My kids want to start adding fish again (just currently have crabs, snails and a few mushrooms in it) but we know we need to put work and money into the sump. Anyone willing to guide us through what the sump is supposed to look like and what we need to have in it for it to properly work? I'm willing to take pictures of what we have and how it was originally set up! Thank you in advance!

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap sump

FB_IMG_1511160270040.jpg

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the pump going to? Return pump power head skimmer? Budget? Jebco makes a good product at a good price I'm sure others will chime in with more expensive options.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, Bulkreefsupply is having monster deals on Sicce and Reef Octopus pumps ("doorbusters") - both great options, and killer prices right now. For your 55 gallon, something in the 600-1000gph would be a good target. AC pumps are cheaper (Sicce), and DC pumps are usually quieter, use less power, and are adjustable (you can change the flow rate) but are more pricey upfront. All depends on your budget, as already mentioned...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back