Upflow Algae Scrubbers® From Santa Monica Filtration®

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

As a proud new sponsor of R2R, it is great to be able to present our upflow algae scrubbers here. The whole algae scrubber concept is new to most people, so don't feel left out if you don't get it at first. The biology is simple though: All the lakes, and all the oceans, are filtered by algae. So if you can grow the algae on purpose, where you want and when you want, then it will absorb (filter) all the bad things out of the water, thus reducing or eliminating water changes and/or the other filters you may be using. Then you just throw the algae away, or feed some to your animals! So here are the different upflow algae scrubbers available (could not figure out how to upload small pics)...

They can all be seen with many more pics, descriptions, and videos at:
Santa-Monica.cc

The DROP.2™... it drops right in™...

Drop.2 in hand.jpg

The HOG Scrubbers® (Hang-On-Glass®)...

HOG.5

hog.5-16.jpg

HOG1

HOG1 - 10 days growth after cleaning in saltwater.jpg

HOG1x

hog1x lights 002.jpg

HOG1.3

HOG1.3 led cover.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As a proud new sponsor of R2R, it is great to be able to present our upflow algae scrubbers here. The whole algae scrubber concept is new to most people, so don't feel left out if you don't get it at first. The biology is simple though: All the lakes, and all the oceans, are filtered by algae. So if you can grow the algae on purpose, where you want and when you want, then it will absorb (filter) all the bad things out of the water, thus reducing or eliminating water changes and/or the other filters you may be using. Then you just throw the algae away, or feed some to your animals! So here are the different upflow algae scrubbers available (could not figure out how to upload small pics)...

Santa-Monica.cc

HOG2

HOG2 screen.jpg

HOG3

HOG3 led closeup.jpg

The SURF Scrubbers®...

SURF2

Surf2-first-harvest.jpg

SURF4

SURF4-day-1-to-17.jpg

The Mixer Scrubbers®...

MIX2

Mix2-foam-and-nofoam-box.jpg

Santa-Monica.cc

Last edited:

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Do you guys have an actual brick and mortar store or showroom where I can learn more about using one of these? I am lucky enough to live in Los Angeles so I can stop by...

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
I have had some sort of ATS for the last 4 years on all my tanks. I made a DIY on my first tank and that worked well. Ghetto, but it worked. I got the waterfall SM100 and that was awesome. And now the Surf4 improves upon the previous designs a lot more. This guy is truly creative!

I am in the process of building a 200G tank. Tank should be here in a few weeks. Build thread will go up. I hope that more and more tanks will showcase ATS filtration. All I can say is that it works and it works wonderfully. I personally prefere Algae filtration over all others. But a combination of nutrient exporters works well with my personal preference of reef keeping. It works along side all other filtration systems out there so why not?

There's a whole text book written on this subject titled Dynamic Aquaria and I recommend it. Research before you try something is smart. Keep up the good work SM. Very happy to see you become a sponsor on R2R.

Kid

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question,

I have tons of Chaeto and Grape caulerpa in my refugium, would an Algae Scrubber kill my micro algae? Also, how do you know how much No3 and Po4 scrubbers remove? Do all scrubbers bring No3 to zero? Def. interested...

Nitrate issue is at a good 20ppm's in my 75g tank .

Last edited:

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also, I feed about 1.5 cubes per day but would like to slowly reduce my nitrates from 20ppm's to maybe around 5 or so... I am thinking maybe a small Algae Scrubber would be best but would like your opinion.

OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
would an Algae Scrubber kill my micro algae? Also, how do you know how much No3 and Po4 scrubbers remove? Do all scrubbers bring No3 to zero? Nitrate issue is at a good 20ppm's in my 75g tank

Generally, once a properly-sized and operated scrubber starts growing well, it will kill the macro, because the scrubber thinks the macro is nuisance algae. So, once a scrubber is running good, you can slowly remove the macro. Scrubbers out-perform macro because scrubbers have more of the three requirement: Attachment, lighting, and flow.

Yes the goal of all scrubbers is to make nutrients "zero". But it's a give-and-take situation sometimes, where maybe your nutrients are low enough, and you don't want to hassle with it anymore.

If you N = 20 and you want it to be 5, then a scrubber like the HOG3 would be good; the xtra LEDs cut through the higher nutrients in the water, to grow when less LEDs would grow dark. If you can't fit that, then the extra LED's of the HOG1x will be a good alternative.

Would you love to have a super cool anemone? (these are the best)

• YES

Votes: 69 73.4%
  • NO

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aquaticlife