Upflow Algae Scrubbers® From Santa Monica Filtration®

jcs11236

View Badges
Reaction score
Need a lil advise. I have been running my hog1 for a 2 months. Doesnt seem to build nothing but green/brown slime algae. I keep cleaning it weekly but the slime comes back. No green algae like the pics. Nitrates are 10-20. I am running lights 22 hours and have it 1" above water line. I am running it with fusion 700 air pump.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again

jcs11236

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes I clean weekly with toothbrush. I definitely think it's helping but it's not making that thick green algae like most of the pics posted. Do you suggest I let it go with out cleaning for longer? Does it eventually just start building thick algae?

jcs11236

View Badges
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my hog1 running 10 days before cleaning. 22 hours a day.
What do you suggest? Is it possible to be running too much air. Like stated I am using fusion 700 with pump on highest setting on knob. And running both outputs via a T.
Should I clean it out again with toothbrush or let it go longer? I have let it go up to 18 days and doesn't produce much difference than pic.

image.jpeg

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Pretty much same issue with mine looks just like that the after first and 2nd cleaning .Mine is running 4 weeks today

Here's a pic of my hog1 running 10 days before cleaning. 22 hours a day.
What do you suggest? Is it possible to be running too much air. Like stated I am using fusion 700 with pump on highest setting on knob. And running both outputs via a T.
Should I clean it out again with toothbrush or let it go longer? I have let it go up to 18 days and doesn't produce much difference than pic.

image.jpeg

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Yup that's what I did.I just cleaned after about 12 days and had about medium handful of green algae.I noticed alot of coralline grew in the hog as well

jcs11236

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I actually gave it a real good scrubbing and now I see some strands of the good algae growing in. Excited!
Didn't get answer from previous question. Is it possible to be running too much air thru hog. I am running fusion 700 with knob all the way high and using a T to use both outlets. Nice movement in hog but will a lil slower be better. Please advise.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
My airlines coming out of the fusion air pump that feed my drop 1.4 look a little weird/discolored. What should I do about this? Is it normal?

(Edit due to: Messed up the picture attachment...)

jcs11236

View Badges
Reaction score
Update. Hog1 had been making nice thick seaweed for the past few weeks. Really took off nicely. Been pulling out a chuck every week. This weekend I was going to do my weekly cleaning and I noticed that the seaweed came off too easily. It was mushy not like the typical tough seaweed that has been growing. Still very green but just like a paste. Any idea what would cause this to happen.

Would you love to have a super cool anemone? (these are the best)

• YES

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • NO

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 4.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
REEFTIDE FOLLOW US @reeftideaquariums