SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Coming this summer 2016:
Waterfall algae scrubber
Version 2

After I invented the waterfall scrubber in 2008, it's great that so many people got to DIY it, and it's also great that lots of builders/sellers used it as their design up until the current day. It's had over 7 years to gather hobbyists.

2012 was a good year though, when I introduced the upflow scrubber. It's only had 3 years to gather hobbyists, but offers them what they did not have before: a compact place where they can put a scrubber that does not spill over when it fills up.

Now that the upflows are established, it's time to do some more work on the waterfalls. They've been unchanged since 2008, and almost every part of them can be improved. So over the next year or two I'll post up the improvements piece by piece. Hopefully the improvements will be useful to all.

jcs11236

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey curious in knowing if one fusion 700 air pump is enough for 2 hog1's or do you think I need extra air pump
My hog1 really took off and I am getting my hands on a second one locally.

Thanks.

That guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

As a proud new sponsor of R2R, it is great to be able to present our upflow algae scrubbers here. The whole algae scrubber concept is new to most people, so don't feel left out if you don't get it at first. The biology is simple though: All the lakes, and all the oceans, are filtered by algae. So if you can grow the algae on purpose, where you want and when you want, then it will absorb (filter) all the bad things out of the water, thus reducing or eliminating water changes and/or the other filters you may be using. Then you just throw the algae away, or feed some to your animals! So here are the different upflow algae scrubbers available (could not figure out how to upload small pics)...

They can all be seen with many more pics, descriptions, and videos at:
Santa-Monica.cc

The DROP.2[emoji769]... it drops right in[emoji769]...

Drop.2 in hand.jpg

The HOG ScrubbersÂ[emoji768] (Hang-On-GlassÂ[emoji768])...

HOG.5

hog.5-16.jpg

HOG1

HOG1 - 10 days growth after cleaning in saltwater.jpg

HOG1x

hog1x lights 002.jpg

HOG1.3

HOG1.3 led cover.jpg

Continued...
Hey I need help with mine was wondering how to contact y'all can I see if u can help me thru pm

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a diy waterfall scrubber and your drop scrubber on another tank. I feel both designs work really good. Do you think either design has advantages over the other?

OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious placement differences, an upflow can't overflow, and generally does not shade the roots and die if not cleaned. Also an upflow has very strong air/water interface turbulence, which helps with nutrient exchange.

But some people still like my original waterfall because it was the first type :)

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
My drop in had been in for about a week, getting inpatient. I want algae in it:)

OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Trevor Janvier in Canada is having fun with his HOG3: "20 days... that's pretty wicked [HOG3] growth, and it seems like my glass algae has lessened. The first picture is 6 weeks ago the next is 4 weeks ago, and last are today, all are 2 weeks intervals with 24 hour lights. phosphate is between .06-.19 and I only clean the glass about once every two weeks and it takes only a min or two. best thing I have bought for my tank"

OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
After much feedback from great customers, we have made some nice improvements to our larger HOG scrubbers® by sealing the magnets with a hard plastic protector which is inside of an extra layer of silicone. Because the larger HOGs have strong magnets that can sometimes jump out of yours hands and snap together, these magnet protectors prevent the protective coverings. They are on the HOG1.3, HOG2, HOG3, HOG3x and the brand new HOG3xx:

Other great customer feedback led us to using the new super thick and super tough black epoxy coatings that now protect all the lights of every SURF scrubber® model including the SURF2, SURF2x, SURF2xx (brand new), SURF4, SURF4x, SURF8 and SURF8xx:

We hope you like it!

OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
2 LEDs to the rescue:

Nathan P. says this is just one week after his first HOG3 cleaning:

Video to show LED shade cloth installation:

"This is one weeks growth [of a SURF2], I'm pulling out a lot more turf now it's certainly got a hold on the ribbons and the textured walls of the box. I tested phosphates a couple of days ago on the Hanna checker and it was reading 0. I did the test again because I've never had a 0 reading on this tank." -- Blinkyfish on the UR site:

After three more months of filtering, and ten more harvests, did the extra high output air pump help?...

The SURF4 is available here:
http://www.Santa-Monica.cc

"HOG1 is a great looking device, great instructions, very very happy" -- Pygmey on the R2R site.

HOG1 picture from Mlandscape on the scrubber site:

OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Any 2-outlet pump like the Supreme Oxy-Flo AP-4 Aquarium Air Pump - 2 Outlet, 4 Watt - from Danner will
work, then use a "T" or "Y" into 1 tubing to feed the Hog. The control is nice to have.

Capture.JPG

Cbones1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Any 2-outlet pump like the Supreme Oxy-Flo AP-4 Aquarium Air Pump - 2 Outlet, 4 Watt - from Danner will
work, then use a "T" or "Y" into 1 tubing to feed the Hog. The control is nice to have.

Capture.JPG
Would this work?

Attachments

• A7C3FA63-5FAE-447C-BBC8-4D08C3BB0DDC.png
    A7C3FA63-5FAE-447C-BBC8-4D08C3BB0DDC.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 6

How's your tank currently looking?

• Never better

Votes: 45 15.2%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 134 45.3%
  • Just OK