Upgrade #4 (and not the last) - 360G Main Display

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

To start off, I figured I'd say a little about myself and my fiance and our experiences in the hobby. I am lucky enough to have a partner who is as enthusiastic about the hobby as myself (at some points she can be even a bit too enthusiastic...) We have now been in the hobby together for a little under 6 years and started off with a 55 gallon tank that became a 90 gallon that became a 180 gallon sps dominant tank (Apartment complex thought it was a 90) that is now becoming a 360G.
Recently we purchased our first house and "conveniently" it came with a 900sq foot finished basement on a slab. We have been wanting to upgrade for some time now but being in apartments for the past several years limited the size tank we could possibly have. The day we signed all the papers and received our keys is the day we ordered the tank.

Tank & Equipment:

-Tank: 360g display from customaquariums.com - 96"Lx 36"Wx 24"T with their H20 overflows and pvc overflow box. Tank will be ran as a peninsula.
- Bob was an absolute pleasure to deal with and the tank was built and delivered in 7.5 weeks. They did a great job crating the tank and it came in perfect condition. The pallet weighed 850lbs.
-Sump - Crystal Reef Aquatics Stealth Sump. I'm actually sad this thing will be covered up by doors. The build quality is fantastic and fit the dimensions I wanted perfectly.
-Geo CR818 Calcium Reactor, which was used on our 180, along with a carbon doser regulator. Would like to give a huge shoutout to @GoVols for his help on which reactor to purchase and tuning the reactor. Thank you again Freddie!
-Varios 8 Reef Octopus return pump - used the varios 6 on our 180 for a few years and it has been nothing but reliable from day 1
- Super Reef Octopus 6000SSS Internal Protein Skimmer - on our 90 we had a used smaller version and it worked a whole lot better than the aquamaxx we had on our 180. This new one is absolutely massive and hopefully will do the job.
-Nyos Torq Reactor just for carbon only
-Lighting: Planning on Kessil AP700's (for now) with a few orphek OR bars. Purchased two AP700's to try out for now and see how they work. If the Ap700's don't work, probably will make a switch to the GHL Mitras'. We have used Kessil 360's since we started keeping corals and have had great results with them. We had 5 on our 180 sps dom tank and had no issues growing or coloring up sps. They ABSOLUTELY can grow corals, don't let anyone tell you different, just make sure you take them completely apart and clean them thoroughly ever 2-3 months.
-Controller: GHL Profilux probably, still undecided on this but will have a controller of some sort. Was also debating about a reef angel star and coding it myself but we'll see as I'm pretty busy with my job right now.
-Flow: 3 maxspec gyre 250's for one side and something else on the back side where the overflow is. I purchased a tunze 6105 to try out and if I like it I will get 2 more of those but I also might try the reef octopus pumps.
-Rock and sand: Using all caribsea shape rock / branch rock/ life rock. Special grade sand - 180lbs for now, but might take some out as I only want a thin sand bed.

More pictures and updates to come:

360g as of 9/20/19 - been up and running since 7/14/19:
(Still need to finish adding all the lights)

IMG_4126.jpg

Our old 90 about 4 years ago prior to starting to keep SPS:
IMG_2476.JPG

Our old 180 and 50 gallon low boy:

IMG_3556.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived early (I had not even started working on the stand..oops):
IMG_3747.jpg

Now onto the stand:
-Main frame was made out of 2x6's and all glue and screwed. Probably went a bit overboard with supports and all but would rather this thing not collapse. It was then covered in 1/2" maple plywood. I sealed all the seams and used marine paint and primer for the stand. I used flex seal where the sump will be going for hopefully a fully waterproof area. The back area was covered with plywood and flex sealed as well but I don't have any pictures on hand of that right now.
IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump so far:

I cannot stress how perfect this sump is. I could not be happier and I love the media box that they include as I hate filter socks so we run filter floss and the box is perfect. The sump itself is 58 gallons, which is a bit small but was the dimensions I wanted, down the line we will be plumbing in an external refugium if needed.

@Crystal Reef Aquatics thank you guys for the fantastic product, I can't wait to get the sump wet. I will only use your sumps on all future tanks I can promise you that!

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although we have existing live rock from out old tank we decided to start 100% fresh with all new rock as we want this system to be as clean as possible from day 1. All our fish that survived the move are currently in quarantine in our 180 and will go through a full 30 days of copper power and other general medicines. We have 5 tangs currently and, although they are not currently showing signs of ich, they have in the past and I really want to have an ich free tank if at all possible.

Unfortunately in the move we lost our leopard wrasse and yellow wrasse. We left the lids off the tank for maybe 3 hours and when we came back both had jumped out.

Fish so far:
-Copperband butterfly: he's about 2 years old and is our second one. Our first lived for 3 years before a velvet outbreak took him out. He is our favorite fish and has a ton of personality. We got lucky with the first and he was eating frozen from day 1 but our second took a lot of work to get to eat frozen, which he now devours. We started off feeding him acans as that was the only thing we would eat. We eventually got him to eat live blood worms and then made him a feeding tube with mysis and lrs.
-Valmingii tang: bought this guy as a 2" baby knowing we would upgrade. He is now about 8 inches and definitely needs a bigger tank ASAP.
-Tomini Bristletooth Tang: best algae eater hands down but also the biggest butt.
-Regal tang
-yellow tang: our oldest fish, about 5 years old now
-scopas tang: second oldest
-midas blenny: has ended up on the floor 3 times now but it still somehow alive
-foxface

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

Last edited:

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen your build thread before and it is incredible. Mine may not be to the same level as yours but maybe the next tank I can come to within 50%!
Haha it take time but each tank has a beauty of their own. It's not easy to have a space to get a 360g set up so u are lucky to have it. Now just take your time and do it right so u don't waste time and money. Large tank do come with cost and as far as equipment buy the best quality gear that u can because the #1 reason for tank crash is equipment failure. Used quality brand name gear is 10x better than cheap new gear. Your Corals and fish will cost 5x your tank by the time u fill the tank up so don't chance it with so so equipment.

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha it take time but each tank has a beauty of their own. It's not easy to have a space to get a 360g set up so u are lucky to have it. Now just take your time and do it right so u don't waste time and money. Large tank do come with cost and as far as equipment buy the best quality gear that u can because the #1 reason for tank crash is equipment failure. Used quality brand name gear is 10x better than cheap new gear. Your Corals and fish will cost 5x your tank by the time u fill the tank up so don't chance it with so so equipment.

I agree, on our first tank I made the mistake of buying a $30 skimmer off ebay because I did not know better. I've already paid the price for some bad equipment decisions in the past so I'm hoping to avoid any of that on this tank. Spent $250 on valves which hurt my soul a bit but this tank will be up for many years and it wasn't worth cutting corners and having them fail in a few years.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, on our first tank I made the mistake of buying a $30 skimmer off ebay because I did not know better. I've already paid the price for some bad equipment decisions in the past so I'm hoping to avoid any of that on this tank. Spent $250 on valves which hurt my soul a bit but this tank will be up for many years and it wasn't worth cutting corners and having them fail in a few years.
That's why it is taking me so much time to build my 280 gallon tank on top of remodeling our house. I have to work harder than an ugly stripper to keep up with the outflow of cash lately. Lol

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why it is taking me so much time to build my 280 gallon tank on top of remodeling our house. I have to work harder than an ugly stripper to keep up with the outflow of cash lately. Lol

I can't imagine having a remodel going on while trying to put this tank together, I wish you the best of luck. I've been slowly collecting equipment for this tank for a long time now. Black Friday is your friend. I might have to resort to stripping to afford some more lights here.....

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine having a remodel going on while trying to put this tank together, I wish you the best of luck. I've been slowly collecting equipment for this tank for a long time now. Black Friday is your friend. I might have to resort to stripping to afford some more lights here.....
I've only just begun! We've been in the house just over 3 years now. We completely gutted one end of the house out. New electric, a/c, bathroom. Took two smaller bedrooms and made a larger master with a nice walk in closet. Now we are redoing the living, dining, and small area in between the kitchen and living room where the 280 will sit. All new plumbing and electrical there for equipment, top off and auto water change. The tank will sit in a 7-1/2 foot wide by almost 9 foot tall built in. I have a build thread going. Check it out sometime.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300G from Custom Aquariums too. Mine is 30” wide and I love yours better! 36” is perfect but my fish room is not big enough... I look forward to your build!

OP
OP
Peter K

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300G from Custom Aquariums too. Mine is 30” wide and I love yours better! 36” is perfect but my fish room is not big enough... I look forward to your build!

We really wanted a wide tank but wanted to keep the depth low so it's not miserable to reach down into. We got the stand in the house today and I don't think I appreciated how massive this tank will be until I saw it in the room. Hopefully moving the tank inside tomorrow if the rain holds off...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back