Upgrade G5 blues to G6 or Add Reefbrite XHO?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon 6 foot tank which I upgrade the lighting to G5 blues about 2 months before the G6's came out. I was previously using blackboxes. The G5 are doing fine par wise, actually perfect. 250-350 where I have my SPS, and about 150 at the bottom of the tank running at 100% AB+. Im currently running 3 XR15's. I don't mind the actual color the lights give out, but it was clear from day 1 that the fluorescence of the corals was heavily reduced under the G5 blues vs the black boxes.

I've been debating on getting the upgrade kits to the G6 blues to add in that pop that apparently they added with the new version with increased UV spectrum, but then I was looking at the reefbrites today. Im weighing the price of the upgrades which would be about $650 ish for all 3, or around $500 for the 72 inch reefbrite. I also haven't seen the G6 blue in action in person, None of the shops near me have upgraded.

Without really knowing how it will look there are some pros and cons with both. Adding the reefbrite would add some more par, be a little cheaper, but it would also be another fixture under my canopy and another heat source. Upgrading to the G6s of course would keep my lighting set up as is and have total controlability.

Do the reefbrites bring out the flouressense really well? Do the G6 blues do it fine on their own? Hopefully there are a few folks on here with experience using both of these.

Thanks.

OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd just keep the G5s, skip the ReefBrites and save the $$ (I run only G5 Blues on my system).
Thanks. Yeah that is a consideration too. If the difference is very noticeable I would do it. I'm not inclined to spend more money on lighting if there won't be a noticeable improvement.

Are you running a template or something custom?

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah that is a consideration too. If the difference is very noticeable I would do it. I'm not inclined to spend more money on lighting if there won't be a noticeable improvement.

Are you running a template or something custom?
I run a custom template based on the 'radiance' template.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back