upgrade or stay the same? 30 to 55 is it worth it?

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I'm building a 30-gallon tank but a nice 55-gallon is on sale for 70 bucks instead of the usual 150 bucks I was thinking about upgrading from the 30 to the 55 due to more fish choices, stabler parameters, and I can put more fish in my current tank does not have much of anything in it except a few snails, an emerald crab (note: the emerald crab is just for cycling), a basic filter, a few rocks, and some sand and is only in the very beginning stages of cycling just 2 weeks old so I wouldn't lose much progress plus since I'm only gonna add more fish when it's cycled I can always keep the same filter till it comes time to add more stuff hence increasing the bioload is it worth it? I think so but I want some opinions

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Upgrades are always good that being said if you are talking about an Aqueon I would avoid them at all costs. I personally have had multiple leak on me in a very short amount of time. There’s a reason why they are cheap. I don’t buy them anymore because of this. Quality is not what it used to be.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrades are always good that being said if you are talking about an Aqueon I would avoid them at all costs. I personally have had multiple leak on me in a very short amount of time. There’s a reason why they are cheap. I don’t buy them anymore because of this. Quality is not what it used to be.
I have a aqueon drilled it myself and installed over flow for a sump never had any issues or problems in fact a lot of people use these tanks because of price without issues. There is no need to spend a bunch of money on a big brand just because its a big brand....questions should be whats the condition how do the seams look any scratches etc. Brand bashing is what is making this hobby completely and entirely overpriced and there is no need for it. Whatever the 55 is as long as its in good condition shouldnt matter. Imo

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a aqueon drilled it myself and installed over flow for a sump never had any issues or problems in fact a lot of people use these tanks because of price without issues. There is no need to spend a bunch of money on a big brand just because its a big brand....questions should be whats the condition how do the seams look any scratches etc. Brand bashing is what is making this hobby completely and entirely overpriced and there is no need for it. Whatever the 55 is as long as its in good condition shouldnt matter. Imo
While that is true they are cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for with Aqueon. But yes even Red Sea tanks have issues. If I hadn’t had so many issues with them I wouldn’t have an issue with them but I do. I honestly think it’s hit or miss with both brands. That being said I have heard great things about Seapora and have a Marineland.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is true they are cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for with Aqueon. But yes even Red Sea tanks have issues.
Inspect the tank look at the seams look for scratches you should be doing this with all tanks they are cheap because they are mass produced and not a custom tank that is premium money not because they are built wrong or inadequate. Yea lower quality glass visually but not strength wise.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is true they are cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for with Aqueon. But yes even Red Sea tanks have issues. If I hadn’t had so many issues with them I wouldn’t have an issue with them but I do. I honestly think it’s hit or miss with both brands. That being said I have heard great things about Seapora and have a Marineland.
Marineland is just as cheap and faulty

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Marineland is just as cheap and faulty
I think Marineland is slightly better and they make many of the commercial aquariums and lobster tanks you see in pet stores, grocery stores, and aquariums but it is still mass produced I know.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has NOT been my experience. I'm in the hobby 20 years and Aqueon tanks are all I have ever owned. NEVER a failure of any kind.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has NOT been my experience. I'm in the hobby 20 years and Aqueon tanks are all I have ever owned. NEVER a failure of any kind.
I had two in a very short amount of time both of which should’ve never happened so I don’t trust them anymore.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats all i own as well no issues or problems whatsoever

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're getting off track, I think the bigger size is better if that's what you want. That being said, 13 inches of width is really annoying to work and it might be more visually appealing in the 30g as opposed to the really stretched out 55. Just something to consider.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you. You don't need our validation for your reefing. ;) More water volume is better for stability, but is also more volume to fix if things go wrong, and more maintenance.
I have five tanks from 35 gallons to 130 myself. But don't be scared of those "cheap" tanks, either. This is a five year old "cheap" Marineland tank.
IMG_20230602_172426.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your layout i can agree somewhat but since i have made it work visually it can be done.... i have a 55g frag growout hybrid and i love it
20230527_132048.jpg
20230601_170530.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like Petco has the 60g breeder on sale for $100+10% off when ordered online. That would be the best choice
I would also give a vote for the 60breeder for 25$ more bucks cant beat it

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that price I would buy it. Even if you don't end up moving your 30 into the 55, just keep it for now, never know when the inspiration for a new tank will hit you. These days you gotta buy it while its on special.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was not brand bashing tho, it's just an opinion on the experience he had with that particular brand of tank that's all . I think it's a good thing people share information on problems they have had with any brands . And share the good experiences like you have done . Keep it real bro , slating a brand does not push up prices.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back