upgrade or stay the same? 30 to 55 is it worth it?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was not brand bashing tho, it's just an opinion on the experience he had with that particular brand of tank that's all . I think it's a good thing people share information on problems they have had with any brands . And share the good experiences like you have done . Keep it real bro , slating a brand does not push up prices.
Thanks you must not have understood what i was saying. I am saying give all brands a chance regardless of the price tag just because they are inexpensive doesnt make them CHEAP and yes im glad people have opinions and that does help but saying all aqeuons fail is not true or that they are horrible tanks not true a statement. It could be made saying "I have not had a good experience with aqeuon" thats one thing but saying all aqeuon tanks are bottom class and cheap is not a correct statement. Thats all i was getting at

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 180 is an aqeon that has been up for maybe 10 years but if I had two leak it would make me shy also.
Why do folks think you @AydenLincoln are a he lol
I know lol! Because my name is a boys name typically but I’m definitely a girl lol!

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like Petco has the 60g breeder on sale for $100+10% off when ordered online. That would be the best choice
would do it but it has a ton of bad reviews does anybody have specific experience with the aqueon 60 gallon

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had any issues with Aqueon tanks and i have about 18, but marineland tanks i would avoid.

I wouldn't waste my time on a 55, pretty badly shaped tank, the 75 or 90 is much better option

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might actually go with the 75 as it is a slightly better deal 49.8069498069% off this is the exact percentage for the 75
49.7487437186% off this is the exact percentage of the 60

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might actually go with the 75 as it is a slightly better deal 49.8069498069% off this is the exact percentage for the 75
49.7487437186% off this is the exact percentage of the 60
Better upgrade to the 75....standard 55 is a bad shape to work with, just a bit longer than a 29 gallon which is what I work with.

Also the deeper front to back will leave more space underneath for a decent sump/equipment.

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better upgrade to the 75....standard 55 is a bad shape to work with, just a bit longer than a 29 gallon which is what I work with.
yeah I'm definitely going with the 75-gallon if I can find a stand for a good price time to go antiquing

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I'm definitely going with the 75-gallon if I can find a stand for a good price time to go antiquing

Whew you’re brave putting that much weight on antique furniture. I know these tanks come with crappy MDF stands sometimes but that could be the reason they’re failing so much. I over built my 22g stand and if I go 75g or whatever I chose I will over build that too. I think repurposing furniture is cool for nanos but I wouldn’t use furniture for tank stands over 30g but that’s just me.

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are you located? i have two 75 gallon angle iron stands and 2 75's just sitting on their ends in my garage/
not close enough to Massachusetts
Whew you’re brave putting that much weight on antique furniture. I know these tanks come with crappy MDF stands sometimes but that could be the reason they’re failing so much. I over built my 22g stand and if I go 75g or whatever I chose I will over build that too. I think repurposing furniture is cool for nanos but I wouldn’t use furniture for tank stands over 30g but that’s just me.
I would actually trust antique furniture more than actual tank stands you see in pet stores and such as they are made of real wood, not plywood and as long as you are careful then your good plus like they say they don't make them like they used to lol

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless going wider that doesn’t make sense to me and why a 75 much better than that 55 vs 30. Easier to speed rock the wider one goes and gives fish more room front to back. Depth is always nice

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not close enough to Massachusetts

I would actually trust antique furniture more than actual tank stands you see in pet stores and such as they are made of real wood, not plywood and as long as you are careful then your good plus like they say they don't make them like they used to lol

I get that it’s real wood. But you’re not getting a lot of strong axis support from a dresser top. You’re putting all the weight on the weak axis of the wood top. Real wood or not. I seriously doubt it was made to hold 1000lbs give or take for extended periods of time. You may not see a catastrophic failure. But you may be confused when you start having a seam leak. The stand inadequacies are the main suspected culprit of Red Sea tank failure right now

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that it’s real wood. But you’re not getting a lot of strong axis support from a dresser top. You’re putting all the weight on the weak axis of the wood top. Real wood or not. I seriously doubt it was made to hold 1000lbs give or take for extended periods of time. You may not see a catastrophic failure. But you may be confused when you start having a seam leak.
well I mean like I said be *CAREFUL* but yeah I have a 55-gallon on top of an antique dresser they are solid

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless going wider that doesn’t make sense to me and why a 75 much better than that 55 vs 30. Easier to speed rock the wider one goes and gives fish more room front to back. Depth is always nice
yeah like I said def going 75 unless I can't find a good stand if I can find one then I'm just gonna go with a 40g breeder that I have laying around which I only remembered now because im wee bit stupid

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah like I said def going 75 unless I can't find a good stand if I can find one then I'm just gonna go with a 40g breeder that I have laying around which I only remembered now because im wee bit stupid
40B much better than 55. Depth over height would be my option. 75 solves both, however but everything then gets overly expensive

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah like I said def going 75 unless I can't find a good stand if I can find one then I'm just gonna go with a 40g breeder that I have laying around which I only remembered now because I'm a wee bit stupid
also, yall know where I can find some good Texas holey rock for ma tank I feel it catches the tide pool aesthetic pretty well I would go with adder stone but for some reason, nobody sells large adder stones instead they sell them necklace sized HMMMMMMMMM I WONDER WHY

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back