Upgrade to 450g ACRYLIC

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I currently have a starfire glass 150 gallon display. I’m wanting to upgrade. Is upgrading to a acrylic tank actually a bad decision if I’m going from starfire ?
What about acrylic in general ?

let me know your thoughts guys

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They each have their pros and cons. I have one of each and am still 50/50. My 450 starfire eventually developed a few scratches even being super careful. My 750 acrylic has a few scratches but at least I can remove them if they annoy me too much.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They each have their pros and cons. I have one of each and am still 50/50. My 450 starfire eventually developed a few scratches even being super careful. My 750 acrylic has a few scratches but at least I can remove them if they annoy me too much.
Acrylic scratches CAN be fixed…glass scratches are forever!
I wouldn’t take a glass tank for free.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, most people gravitate one way or the other. Each has their own benefits and drawbacks; it will be more of a personal decision based on what is important to you.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic scratches CAN be fixed…glass scratches are forever!
I wouldn’t take a glass tank for free.
That’s the debate, right? One is far easier to scratch but if it does scratch then it’s repairable. Personally I’d prefer to be careful and not get any scratches to begin with.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I currently have a starfire glass 150 gallon display. I’m wanting to upgrade. Is upgrading to a acrylic tank actually a bad decision if I’m going from starfire ?
What about acrylic in general ?

let me know your thoughts guys
I tried an acrylic tank for my upgrade. It was so bad I actually risked losing more livestock and switching over to a glass tank after less than a year of use, even got a new one that cost 3x what I paid for the acrylic tank. Absolutely any benefit of acrylic (aside from the buffing) ends once the tank is on the stand. It bows more, it's opaque and hard to take pictures through.

lets be honest. Years from now, you have a 400 gallon functional tank, ecosystem and biology just how you like it. Beautiful reef, growing coral. Are you really going risk it all to empty the tank and buff the scratches that are on it? Sorry for the mini rant, but i can't stress enough how much I dislike acrylic.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the debate, right? One is far easier to scratch but if it does scratch then it’s repairable. Personally I’d prefer to be careful and not get any scratches to begin with.

Unfortunately, many ‘pro-glass’ people in that debate have never had an acrylic tank… but the ‘pro-acrylic’ people have had glass tanks, and have no desire to go back .
For the record, besides my newer tanks (200 & 500g & various frag tanks) I have at least 3 ‘older’ acrylic tanks that are 20-30 years old, and they all look to be in great shape

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried an acrylic tank for my upgrade. It was so bad I actually risked losing more livestock and switching over to a glass tank after less than a year of use, even got a new one that cost 3x what I paid for the acrylic tank. Absolutely any benefit of acrylic (aside from the buffing) ends once the tank is on the stand. It bows more, it's opaque and hard to take pictures through.

lets be honest. Years from now, you have a 400 gallon functional tank, ecosystem and biology just how you like it. Beautiful reef, growing coral. Are you really going risk it all to empty the tank and buff the scratches that are on it? Sorry for the mini rant, but i can't stress enough how much I dislike acrylic.
Don’t have to empty an acrylic tank to buff it. Use high grit sandpaper with everything as is. I’ve done it. No issues. Mighty Magnets even sells buffing kits for their magnets which again can be used in the tank with water and fish/corals.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a glass tank is more likely to blow a seam than acrylic. Acrylic is welded with an acrylic adhesive. Glass use silicone which is more prone to letting go over time.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, many ‘pro-glass’ people in that debate have never had an acrylic tank… but the ‘pro-acrylic’ people have had glass tanks, and have no desire to go back .
For the record, besides my newer tanks (200 & 500g & various frag tanks) I have at least 3 ‘older’ acrylic tanks that are 20-30 years old, and they all look to be in great shape
I don’t know if I’m in the minority but I’ve had both and I still lean towards glass.

450 gallon glass tank? That thing is going to weigh as much as locomotive. Come on over to the acrylic side. Read more about them here https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/collections/fish-tanks-101
The weight of the glass is minimal in comparison to what it’s holding. ;)
Also a glass tank is more likely to blow a seam than acrylic. Acrylic is welded with an acrylic adhesive. Glass use silicone which is more prone to letting go over time.
I’ve seen both types fail. If seams are done well either should have no issues 30+ years down the line.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t know if I’m in the minority but I’ve had both and I still lean towards glass.

The weight of the glass is minimal in comparison to what it’s holding. ;)

I’ve seen both types fail. If seams are done well either should have no issues 30+ years down the line.
Sure, not saying acrylic can’t fail but I’ve heard of more glass tanks failing vs. acrylic. Just do a search on R2R, the majority are glass.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, not saying acrylic can’t fail but I’ve heard of more glass tanks failing vs. acrylic. Just do a search on R2R, the majority are glass.
I’m not too surprised. How many more glass tanks are out there vs acrylic? It’s probably about 10-1 which I would say is about the same ratio of what you hear of failures.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too surprised. How many more glass tanks are out there vs acrylic? It’s probably about 10-1 which I would say is about the same ratio of what you hear of failures.
Acrylic seams do not fail when properly welded. Period. Glass...? This glass v debate is a perennial. The coup de grace for glass tanks in this size range however is the THREE way cost savings with acrylic.

1) the cost of the tank itself. I did a quick search and found this for glass >>>> https://www.dallasaquariumexpertson...mmed-glass-peninsula-aquarium-96l-x-36d-x-30h Approx. $13,000 from a company called planet aquariums. We can build this size for approx. $6,000. The difference of $7,000 buys a lot of donuts. The good ones with cream centers.
2) Let's talk about that weight again. It is not a little thing. Sure, when it is where it supposed to be, not so much a problem. Getting it there is another matter. Let's hear how someone would move this bus. Chiropractors love glass tanks.
3) The freight/drayage. Loading it onto the truck is one thing. "Honey, your glass tank is here!" It is at the curb...

Whatever choice you make, all the best.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make a call to your insurance carrier and ask if there are any GLASS aquarium exclusions in your policy. We carry $5 million products liability. Don't know of any glass companies that have this.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic seams do not fail when properly welded. Period. Glass...? This glass v debate is a perennial. The coup de grace for glass tanks in this size range however is the THREE way cost savings with acrylic.

1) the cost of the tank itself. I did a quick search and found this for glass >>>> https://www.dallasaquariumexpertson...mmed-glass-peninsula-aquarium-96l-x-36d-x-30h Approx. $13,000 from a company called planet aquariums. We can build this size for approx. $6,000. The difference of $7,000 buys a lot of donuts. The good ones with cream centers.
2) Let's talk about that weight again. It is not a little thing. Sure, when it is where it supposed to be, not so much a problem. Getting it there is another matter. Let's hear how someone would move this bus. Chiropractors love glass tanks.
3) The freight/drayage. Loading it onto the truck is one thing. "Honey, your glass tank is here!" It is at the curb...

Whatever choice you make, all the best.
Come on now, let’s be a little less biased. That glass aquarium you linked to is a bit ridiculous. No one in the market for a tank would even entertain that as an option. If it was some custom Reef Savvy tank maybe; even then I think they are over priced. If we’re being honest about price, there is a wide range of pricing for both glass and acrylic tanks.

It’s no secret glass is much heavier than acrylic but you typically move your tank once or twice. I don’t sit back and admire my tank and think about how light or heavy it was when I moved it.

I deal with a national freight company and the size/shape and distance of my deliveries end up being more costly than the weight.

Something you haven’t mentioned is that acrylic is more shatter resistant than glass. If a rock structure tipped over in a glass tank, you’ve got a much higher risk of catastrophic failure than with an acrylic tank.

I don’t have a staunch position on the matter. If someone said acrylic works better for them, I’d believe them just as much as the person that says glass works better for them. Research both options and make the best decision for yourself and your situation. There’s no clear winner across the board for everyone.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on now, let’s be a little less biased. That glass aquarium you linked to is a bit ridiculous. No one in the market for a tank would even entertain that as an option. If it was some custom Reef Savvy tank maybe; even then I think they are over priced. If we’re being honest about price, there is a wide range of pricing for both glass and acrylic tanks.

It’s no secret glass is much heavier than acrylic but you typically move your tank once or twice. I don’t sit back and admire my tank and think about how light or heavy it was when I moved it.

I deal with a national freight company and the size/shape and distance of my deliveries end up being more costly than the weight.

Something you haven’t mentioned is that acrylic is more shatter resistant than glass. If a rock structure tipped over in a glass tank, you’ve got a much higher risk of catastrophic failure than with an acrylic tank.

I don’t have a staunch position on the matter. If someone said acrylic works better for them, I’d believe them just as much as the person that says glass works better for them. Research both options and make the best decision for yourself and your situation. There’s no clear winner across the board for everyone.
It's the first link I found. If you can find a better deal, please post it. And I do have to apologize. I made a mistake on our costs. Our cost for this tank is not $6,000. It is approx. $5,100. I entered in the wrong wall thickness.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we will have to chat one day about my 600 design. Have to add onto the house first for a fish room...No sure I want a peninsula or a complete walk around tank with center drains and returns...

Back