Upgrade to LEDs

unclesalty663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from t-5s to 4 Kessil A360x’s and love the look and choice of color spectrum. My tank is a 180gal. My question is, does anyone have a color/ intensity setup that works? Within 1 month my polyp rock went from a bright fluorescent green to a light brown. It is still opening and growing. I believe I am overpowering them (bleaching) and before I add more corals I would love to have a start point that someone is using that works. I will be checking PAR later this week. Thanks in advance!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from t-5s to 4 Kessil A360x’s and love the look and choice of color spectrum. My tank is a 180gal. My question is, does anyone have a color/ intensity setup that works? Within 1 month my polyp rock went from a bright fluorescent green to a light brown. It is still opening and growing. I believe I am overpowering them (bleaching) and before I add more corals I would love to have a start point that someone is using that works. I will be checking PAR later this week. Thanks in advance!
Can you share your current light intensity and schedule, as well as the dimensions of the tank and how high above the water the lights are? We'll be able to make a better recommendation that way!

OP
OP
U

unclesalty663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6x2x2. Lights are 6” above water. Schedule is on at 8 am at 10% ramping to90% at12pm, then ramping down starting at 10 pm down to zero at 2am. Thanks!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6x2x2. Lights are 6” above water. Schedule is on at 8 am at 10% ramping to90% at12pm, then ramping down starting at 10 pm

Definitely sounds like they got hit with a bit too much light right off the bat - that's an intense photoperiod for a long time.

I'd suggest no more than about 16 hours of light total per day - aka 8 hours of complete darkness.

Try something like the following:
8am: 0%
12pm: 70%
8pm: 70%
11pm: 0%

That should give them the light they need while not pushing too much into the tank. You can always increase it over time, but do any lighting changes slowly.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll try it and hope the color comes back!!
It should, just give it some time and a bit of extra feeding. With the zooxanthellae expelled, the coral are more reliant on manual feeding opposed to photosynthesis for their energy.

Back