Upgraded light how long before zoas color up?

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded from the base lighting on my fluval 13.5 to an AI Prime 16 HD. I dont expect crazy color up any time soon but when might i see the true colors showing up. I got some WWC HalleBerry zoas on one of their sales and right now its all pink with a little orange on the edges. Again im not expecting this any time soon. Will it take months? I can upload pics if needed

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, be prepared for the fact that they may not 'color up' much at all. And if they do, it will probably take a few months and be so gradual you will hardly notice.

I put locally collected green zoas under high PAR in my tank and it takes them a few months, but eventually they do morph into sky blue zoas. Moved back under lower PAR and it takes months, but they do morph back to green.

OP
OP
gabrielw94106

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, be prepared for the fact that they may not 'color up' much at all. And if they do, it will probably take a few months and be so gradual you will hardly notice.

I put locally collected green zoas under high PAR in my tank and it takes them a few months, but eventually they do morph into sky blue zoas. Moved back under lower PAR and it takes months, but they do morph back to green.
Very well. I remember trying to trade them in because they didnt color up but wwc said they will after my light upgrade. Its up to hope at this point i assume. Thanks for advice!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron is right, they might not be all that colorful. If you had some tried and true Z&P where the color is known, then you have a better chance. WWC stuff could be colorful, or it could just look good after the photo makes it's way through photoshop. HB zoas never have looked as good in person as they have in the photos when I have seen them.

Also, there is no guarantee that a Prime is an upgrade. It could be. Changes are not always upgrades.

A few months is probably right. Hang in there.

When I used to keep Z&P, strong full spectrum lighting was good for color and growth:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27vgewf]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27vgepb]
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 7.44.37 AM.png

OP
OP
gabrielw94106

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron is right, they might not be all that colorful. If you had some tried and true Z&P where the color is known, then you have a better chance. WWC stuff could be colorful, or it could just look good after the photo makes it's way through photoshop. HB zoas never have looked as good in person as they have in the photos when I have seen them.

Also, there is no guarantee that a Prime is an upgrade. It could be. Changes are not always upgrades.

A few months is probably right. Hang in there.

When I used to keep Z&P, strong full spectrum lighting was good for color and growth:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27vgewf]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27vgepb]

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 7.44.37 AM.png
Very informative thanks! Would an AI Prime be an upgrade from fluval stock lighting as it has only white and blue. Those zoas look great . Ive got some radioactive dragon eyes(probably not the right name) and some fruitloops and those both look great. Ill attach a photo of my halleberrys. The color is mostly white so itll properly take pictures but this is what they look like under blue for the most part

BF78866D-2A5F-475B-B0BE-EA95AE0304DC.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back