Upgraded shipping is a ripoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I paid for upgraded shipping on an order worth $100. It was shipped USPS with no tracking.

I called to complain and was told that it is standard practice to ship the upgrades either UPS or USPS. So it may or may not be upgraded at all. What concerns me is that the management team at Marine depot thinks this is acceptable. I have literally spent tens of thousands with them over the years but they feel it is necessary to rip me off for $3. They should search their database and refund everyone that they charged for upgraded shipping but shipped it USPS. Then they should subtract the cost of that from the severance package of the individual that thought this was ok.

Many things we need in this hobby are expensive and may be needed urgently. We need to be able to choose the delivery company and estimated delivery time. I live about 50 miles from the distribution center. The CSR told me it was going to take 5 days to go the 50 miles. I had to call to get that info because I received no tracking. When they ship it UPS I get it the next day.

I am willing to pay more for the ability to choose but I am not giving the opportunity. Instead, they choose to deceive me to help subsidize the faux "Free" shipping.

I will say that Marine Depot has very good customer service reps and I have received the $3 back. But it is not about the $3.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I ordered an $800 item and paid for upgraded shipping and it took them 3 days to ship it out of their warehouse and it was in stock.

While my items that I purchased wasnt a huge amount, mine also took a few days to ship out as well. I paid for the upgraded shipping as well.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Last week I ordered a skimmer and it took one day with expedited shipping.
This Past week I order the same skimmer for another tank and it took 5 days to receive it.
When I complained they told me expedited shipping was 3-5 business days and I received it in 5 days. Hate to see when Ground arrives. To bad it didn't leave their warehouse until 3 days after I ordered it which is BS for any online store to delay shipments. Too bad I have over a $1,000 worth of purchases this week and they have been eliminated from my list of stores to purchase from because I can't trust them anymore.

Oh, and the kicker is when I get the product the packing slip says VIP Customer, just think how they treat the regular customer's if that if how they treat VIPs.

Last edited:

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
yea I stopped using marine depot a few years ago. brs ships out next day and premium aquatics ships out same day if ordered by 3pm

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Never been on the brs band wagon, I do order from them if it’s in stock, but never had good customer service when I had a problem and now with the sales tax being a killer. I agree on upgraded shipping for marine depot and brs not worth it. Id rather give my money to marine depot though. Premium aquatics is my go to now!

Snedabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I also experienced this also. Same order one UPS next day last Friday and other USPS delivered today 3 days later. From my previous experience they have not been shipping on Monday since covid which adds to the delay.

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I paid for upgraded shipping on an order worth $100. It was shipped USPS with no tracking.

I called to complain and was told that it is standard practice to ship the upgrades either UPS or USPS. So it may or may not be upgraded at all. What concerns me is that the management team at Marine depot thinks this is acceptable. I have literally spent tens of thousands with them over the years but they feel it is necessary to rip me off for $3. They should search their database and refund everyone that they charged for upgraded shipping but shipped it USPS. Then they should subtract the cost of that from the severance package of the individual that thought this was ok.

Many things we need in this hobby are expensive and may be needed urgently. We need to be able to choose the delivery company and estimated delivery time. I live about 50 miles from the distribution center. The CSR told me it was going to take 5 days to go the 50 miles. I had to call to get that info because I received no tracking. When they ship it UPS I get it the next day.

I am willing to pay more for the ability to choose but I am not giving the opportunity. Instead, they choose to deceive me to help subsidize the faux "Free" shipping.

I will say that Marine Depot has very good customer service reps and I have received the $3 back. But it is not about the $3.

Hello,

First and foremost, I want to thank you for reaching out to our customer service team first and allowing them to assist you to the best of their abilities. I do see that your package was delivered to you today 06/10. I hope it all arrived safely.

As for the shipping method used, I believe there may be some confusion as to what the $2.99 shipping option offers. Please note that our upgraded shipping option does not guarantee that your package will ship out UPS. This shipping option simply offers a faster delivery time (usually between 1-5 business days) and we use a variety of shipping carriers including USPS First Class. The shipping option is chosen by our system based on algorithms that take into account origin, shipping location, shipping time, size and weight of packages, etc. In your case, it appears that it did in fact choose USPS First Class, your package shipped out the same day it was ordered and arrived at your location two days later. Personally, I think we did a great job there.

You did also mention that there was no tracking available. I do apologize deeply for this and we will go back into our system to see where it failed. Regardless of what shipping option you chose, whether paid or free shipping, a tracking number is always provided. We understand the frustration and sense of uncertainty one can feel when left without knowing the status of an order placed online.

I do appreciate you complimenting our service team as they strive to assist in any way they can. They are there specifically to make sure that you are taken care of and are always happy to hear you out on how you think we can do better. Letting us know where you think we can improve is the fastest way to see us grow as a company.

Thank you again for sharing and have a great day.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
I've ordered from Marine depot and usually if item is in stock at their east warehouse I have it the next day without upgraded shipping. I am a little closer to the ATL than most.

As much as I like and also order from BRS, they are farther away and it takes a minute. Upgraded shipping or not.

Still better than the good old days of cutting an order form out of a magazine and sending a check or money order and waiting the 6 to 8 weeks for an item. Heck most of the time by the time we got something we had forgotten we ordered it. I'm pretty sure I ordered things I never got. Come to think about it I am still waiting on that 7ft tall Frankenstein I ordered from a comic book. Lol

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
just moved to Bloomington. Any clubs or LFS close?
Indmas is the club but it’s based around Indy. Petco has saltwater but buy at your own risk. Otherwise the reef is in Indy. Uncle bills in greenwood isn’t too bad. I go to Clarksville often

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
they have a warehouse like 40 minutes from me so whenever i order something i have it the next day with regular shipping

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
The first time I ordered from MD I decided not to upgrade the shipping and i still got my item 2 days later, dozens of orders later and I have never upgraded and I have NOT regretted it. Save the money and use their "free shipping" option.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m a little confused...if you don’t upgrade shipping what is the average wait time for a delivery? If the upgrade option is up to a 5 day wait, surely it can’t be worse?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m a little confused...if you don’t upgrade shipping what is the average wait time for a delivery? If the upgrade option is up to a 5 day wait, surely it can’t be worse?

5 days is pretty much max. I know some sellers on eBay use smart post which can take a like a week

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%

Back