Upgraded shipping is a ripoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
5 days is pretty much max. I know some sellers on eBay use smart post which can take a like a week

So the OP is correct, if standard delivery is a max of 5 days on average, then they need to take a look at the upgrade service, the upgrade should not overlap the free service, it should beat it every time, or withdraw that service.

The rep from MD stating they did well with a 3 day delivery needs to rethink what they were so proud off, if the free service would have delivered the same experience they took an extra payment from the customer for.

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

First and foremost, I want to thank you for reaching out to our customer service team first and allowing them to assist you to the best of their abilities. I do see that your package was delivered to you today 06/10. I hope it all arrived safely.

As for the shipping method used, I believe there may be some confusion as to what the $2.99 shipping option offers. Please note that our upgraded shipping option does not guarantee that your package will ship out UPS. This shipping option simply offers a faster delivery time (usually between 1-5 business days) and we use a variety of shipping carriers including USPS First Class. The shipping option is chosen by our system based on algorithms that take into account origin, shipping location, shipping time, size and weight of packages, etc. In your case, it appears that it did in fact choose USPS First Class, your package shipped out the same day it was ordered and arrived at your location two days later. Personally, I think we did a great job there.

You did also mention that there was no tracking available. I do apologize deeply for this and we will go back into our system to see where it failed. Regardless of what shipping option you chose, whether paid or free shipping, a tracking number is always provided. We understand the frustration and sense of uncertainty one can feel when left without knowing the status of an order placed online.

I do appreciate you complimenting our service team as they strive to assist in any way they can. They are there specifically to make sure that you are taken care of and are always happy to hear you out on how you think we can do better. Letting us know where you think we can improve is the fastest way to see us grow as a company.

Thank you again for sharing and have a great day.
Until Covid showed it's ugly face, I have always had very prompt service from Marine Depot. It's also noted at the top of their site that there can be some delays expected. Lack of staffing, increased ordering, product supply chains failing, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't bode very well for the consumer. But that's out of their control. Also, the mail and delivery services are overwhelmed because of Covid, which is causing nationwide delivery delays. Not in Marine Depot's control, or the shipper's control. Overall, I personally believe the upgraded shipping is worth it, because otherwise, I have had to wait more than a week for an item, and for only $2.99, I feel it's very much worth it.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
We all want free shipping unless we are selling something and then find out how much shipping actually cost. I remember when you had to pay over 175 dollars for free shipping. MD used to take 2 days to get to me I usually choose somewhere else due to their site being a mess, and yes I have spoken with them about it. I just politely move on.

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues. I can say some times they take a bit longer but for the most part i like them much better then the others sites mentioned.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Since this thread is still around I thought I would add a little more to it.
I asked a friend (who is a Lawyer) about this since the last time I posted in this thread and here is what he told me.
If you are upgrading a service like to NDA or 3 Day Service there needs to be a service (Next Day Air, 2 Day, 3 Day) or an estimated date on the arrival for them to call it an Expedited Service(To give the customer an informed choice and know what they are clearly paying for). Like BRS has estimated dates of arrival so they would be covered by the estimated date because they don't say 2 day or next day. MD doesn't do this or give you estimated dates, so they shouldn't be calling it expedited shipping. Now, laws do change from state to state, so it matters who's law they are using.
So why is Marine Depot not clearly marking their expedited shipping with estimated dates?
Looks like they are clearly blurring the lines for profits.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
So when did MD started shipping through USPS? My last order shipped out Monday and didn't arrive until Friday. Mind you that's only from Las Vegas to Central CA. My BRS order that shipped out the same day coming from all the way in Minnesota came a day earlier. And I paid for that expediated shipping.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If the paid ‘upgraded’ delivery gets nothing to anyone any faster— or it’s just a dice roll with a company essentially skimming more profit— then I have 3 words: “class action lawsuit.” (The lead plaintiff will make millions— everyone else aggrieved will get a T-shirt and a coupon for free expedited shipping on their next purchase.) LOL !!

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
MD has always been great shipping for me. And BRS slower it seems, but i dont mind either way. Thats just the way it is guess. It is aggravating when you really need something fast so i try to have extra stuff on hand just in case.

reeferisland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Marine Depot has improved their shipping in the last few weeks. Everything I have ordered has either shipped the same day or the next day, depending on what time I put the order in. This is with paying the $2.99 for upgraded shipping.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Marine Depot has improved their shipping in the last few weeks. Everything I have ordered has either shipped the same day or the next day, depending on what time I put the order in. This is with paying the $2.99 for upgraded shipping.

Ok, lets use you as a example if you don't mind.
Most if not all retailers send it out the same day or next day pending when you purchased it but that isn't upgraded shipping. The real question is how far are you away from the warehouse they ship and what is the average Ground time from that warehouse. Say it is across country and it's 5 days. If they did the next step up in shipping say 3 day, then it would be upgraded shipping. if you get it in 3 days or under, which most of the warehouses are in place to do, what is the upgraded shipping? 2nd Day or NDA? But that isn't what they consider upgraded shipping which bring me to my question.
What was upgraded on your shipping? Now, if you have to think about that, which a lot of us are doing, it's blurring the lines what you are paying for. Marine Depot needs to make clear what we are paying for with estimated days or which service we can upgrade to. Just collecting $2.99 from everyone and not actually upgrading any shipping is what most people call fraud. So Marine Depot please explain your upgrading and what you are upgrading. Getting something there before 5 business days is Ground shipping for 98% of the country. So what are you Upgrading for $2.99?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of test kits and as of today it's still sitting in Grand prairie Texas..... Since the 24th. Why? I am only 2 hours from there. Good thing it's not something I really needed 3 days ago.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Placed an order for 4 filter socks with MD couple weeks back. 2 came out of the east coast wear house and the other 2 came out of the west coast. Both packages shipped the same day. I got the west coast order 4 days before the east coast one and I live on the east coast. Seems backwards if you ask me.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Placed another order on Sunday and like a fool payed for the upgraded shipping. Got an email for the tracking number Monday night and according to the USPS website that the label has been printed but has not yet been picked up from MD. So idk where my package is.:(

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Placed another order on Sunday and like a fool payed for the upgraded shipping. Got an email for the tracking number Monday night and according to the USPS website that the label has been printed but has not yet been picked up from MD. So idk where my package is.:(
So both of your orders were shipped through USPS?

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
doesn't it right now say something about shipping times/days might be delayed and they cant guarantee expedited delivery. Also Free shipping says 5-7 days (economy) and faster shipping is 1-5 days for 2.99. If you live in an area where you are going to get your package say in 3 days to me its not worth paying for the 2.99 to get it say 1-5 days - and it end up being 3 days - free shipping on anything 29.99 and up isn't a bad deal either -

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Going on 11 Days and still no answer from Marine Depot.
What are you afraid to answer a simple question of what you are upgrading?
I know it doesn't take a package from you 5-7 days to get to my location.(Took less last week via USPS)
Why lie to us about that to get an upgraded $2.99?
Why can't you be straight forward like BRS, Saltwater Aquariums and all the other great sponsors here?
Don't we deserve a straight forward answer to your generic upgraded shipping?
Sending it UPS instead of USPS isn't upgraded shipping if it arrives in the same time frame.

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I am very sorry to hear this. Could you please send us a direct message providing your order number and I will get you taken care of? Thank you. Best, Amy @ MD

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back