Upgraded to 40 gal - when do I add my old clean-up crew?

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank and upgraded to a 40. I just got it up and running last Tuesday, added some jumpstart bacteria and gave it 24 hours or so before transferring my fish (2 clowns and a bicolor blenny). I bought and added a tiny puffer fish on Friday and all are settling in nicely. I just moved my cleaner shrimp over, mostly because my frozen shrimp/algae dropped slightly more than I intended into the tank tonight so I went ahead and moved her over. Remaining in the 10 gallon is an emerald crab, two tiny bumble bee snails, a tiger conch and two turbo(?) snails. When can I move these guys to the new digs? I don’t know if there is much to clean yet but I’m anxious to break down the old tank and get it out of the middle of my living room... I would also like to add a yellow tang or similar but I don’t know how to time this stuff. Any help is appreciated!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move them over. Assuming you brought the live rock from the 10g over (or added other live rock) there should be food for them

What kind of puffer? I'm concerned about tank size and more so about it eating your shrimp and crab...

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! I didn’t move the rock from the old tank, there was a spot of red algae I wasn’t able to remedy so I decided not to chance it. I do have new live rock in the new tank but I haven’t seen any growth. I just learned about the puffer and snails/shrimp/crabs so I am a little concerned also. It’s a valentini puffer and it is pretty small, I don’t think my bumble bee snails will make it. The emerald crab is pretty big and a good hider, but I’m still nervous. My LFS mentioned that they sometimes nip at corals but I thought I would chance it and see if we got a good one. Perhaps it isn’t worth the risk in the long run with my existing critters.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini puffers are fine for that size. I wouldn't suggest getting a yellow tang as they are very prone to getting ich. Also, tank is a little small for long term

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back