Upgrading a 36g bowfront to 40g breeder: Is bigger actually better if I plan to upgrade to something with a sump in the future?

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 36g bowfront and Im very new to saltwater. Im debating on getting rid of the 36g bowfront and switching to a 40g breeder but that comes with the cost of tank + new stand which the stand is always crazy expensive. Is it really worth it? I dont want to go to a 48" tank because Im currently arguing with the wife about upgrading in the first place and just going to saltwater and the added costs.
But, the 36g has the following issues of upgrading:
1. It has that support brace in the middle that I feel I shouldnt cut away. This is not going to allow me to add in a HOB refugium.
2. I do have 2x Hydra HDs (I was using them for high light fw plants) but while I know it is overkill... it will be hard to put a Tidal 75 on the back and the 2x Hydras.
3. I do have a 407 fluval but Im learning/researching why they are considered "nitrate traps?" While the strong recommendation is to use the HOB filter... IDK if Im just screwing up by using a cannister filter and having space for the hydra lights or Im creating a scenario that will end in failure due to the "cannister" dilemna?

40g breeder:
While I would love to upgrade to something larger... the plan is to possibly create a 40g breeder but is that "juice worth that squeeze?"
1. The extra expense of tank + stand. Tank may be $40 but the stand is $200+
2. Its not that much larger in volume for the upgrade.
3. It can be used as a future sump for something bigger but then again the plan is to upgrade to a Red Sea E series style tank in the future.
4. It will give enough room for the HOB filter and lights and possible HOB refugium and ... but again is that "just worth that squeeze?
5. HUGEST NEGATIVE... it will tick off the wife for a bit until she sees actual "life" in the tank and the aesthetics!

EDIT: The list or parts I have are the following:
1. Fluval 407
2. 2x Hydra 32 HD
3. Fluval E series 300w heater
4. Koralia 565 aquarium pump (I do want/plan to purchase the AI Nero 5 x2 just because I like things that work with the phone app.)
5. I dont have dry rock and/or live sand.
6. I will be getting either RODI from the LFS initially or is it best to get SW from the LFS in the beginning. I do have the 5gal jugs for my RODI needs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have a 36g bowfront and Im very new to saltwater. Im debating on getting rid of the 36g bowfront and switching to a 40g breeder but that comes with the cost of tank + new stand which the stand is always crazy expensive. Is it really worth it? I dont want to go to a 48" tank because Im currently arguing with the wife about upgrading in the first place and just going to saltwater and the added costs.
But, the 36g has the following issues of upgrading:
1. It has that support brace in the middle that I feel I shouldnt cut away. This is not going to allow me to add in a HOB refugium.
2. I do have 2x Hydra HDs (I was using them for high light fw plants) but while I know it is overkill... it will be hard to put a Tidal 75 on the back and the 2x Hydras.
3. I do have a 407 fluval but Im learning/researching why they are considered "nitrate traps?" While the strong recommendation is to use the HOB filter... IDK if Im just screwing up by using a cannister filter and having space for the hydra lights or Im creating a scenario that will end in failure due to the "cannister" dilemna?

40g breeder:
While I would love to upgrade to something larger... the plan is to possibly create a 40g breeder but is that "juice worth that squeeze?"
1. The extra expense of tank + stand. Tank may be $40 but the stand is $200+
2. Its not that much larger in volume for the upgrade.
3. It can be used as a future sump for something bigger but then again the plan is to upgrade to a Red Sea E series style tank in the future.
4. It will give enough room for the HOB filter and lights and possible HOB refugium and ... but again is that "just worth that squeeze?
5. HUGEST NEGATIVE... it will tick off the wife for a bit until she sees actual "life" in the tank and the aesthetics!

EDIT: The list or parts I have are the following:
1. Fluval 407
2. 2x Hydra 32 HD
3. Fluval E series 300w heater
4. Koralia 565 aquarium pump (I do want/plan to purchase the AI Nero 5 x2 just because I like things that work with the phone app.)
5. I dont have dry rock and/or live sand.
6. I will be getting either RODI from the LFS initially or is it best to get SW from the LFS in the beginning. I do have the 5gal jugs for my RODI needs.
Bigger is nbetter. 55g WouI’d be better than 40b if your space and budget allows it
If purchasing water, but the seawater but test it before using it to assure no salinity-phosphate- ph issues

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the 2x LFS today and I think they gave me reasonable advice. Both people/shops told me that they would not upgrade the 36g at all. My 18 month solution is a Red Sea style sump tank so why spend the money to upgrade and save it for the things I do need for the Red Sea? For example:
1. The current petco 40g breeder is $99 right now and the stand is $221. That is $320 without tax...
2. I can take $200 of that and put it into a RODI home system.
3. I will need to purchase rock, no matter what, so dry rock is approximately $3 a lb so 36g x $3 p-lb = $198?
4. Purchase regular wavemakers instead of purchasing a high end one now because a new high end may come out once I get my Red Sea equivalent. That should be $40-50 each?
5. Use the 407 as a coarse sponge and the rest biomedia... and then use the Tidal 75 as a fine sponge (polishing filter) and put them together. That sounded plausible to me but I do need to understand what needs to go into a polishing filter?

Both shops reasoning/rationale was mainly to invest what I need now and use this 36g tank as an experiment tank... and once I get the new Red Sea equivalent... then move everything into the newer tank. Versus buying something larger now that would go to waste when I do get a Red Sea style tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back