Upgrading from 75 gal reef tank to Waterbox 180.5

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I simply use the contents from my old 75g reef tank to seed and help establish my new Waterbox 180.5? My existing tank is over 6 years old with a lot of live rock as well as bio material in the sump. I have both fish, inverts and coral in the 75g that is healthy and growing, hence the need for bigger tank. Adding another AI Hydra 32 to my existing 2 and changing to new rail to support them 14” over tank. Also bumped up UV sterilizer to 35w, added Neptune Cor-20 and shopping for larger Skimmer. I have received mixed advice in using my own establish bio from the rocks and sand bead to seed my new tank, your thoughts.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did except I did not use the sand or the water.
65g to 180g.
24900535-B01D-42DC-A2F5-160192DF0FFB.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use new sand, 6 years old will be very dirty.
Use the rocks and water, bacterial biome is in the rocks.

Upvote 0

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do a similar thing. But I'm switching from a Marineland petsmart rank to a red sea reefer 300xl. Same size tank. I have alot of pests so I'm not going to transfer my old rock. I'm going to start over with Marco rock reef saver. I added the eshopps bio-lux blocks to gather bacteria about a month ago. Hopefully this will be enough to at least not throw my new tank into a full cycle. I hope. It's a huge risk I know. I don't want all the pests in my new tank. This time I will dip everything before I add to the tank. Do you guys think I will be ok or should I leave my old tank running with the coral I have? Cycle the new tank in a different spot then transfer my corals over later. I'm afraid my corals will die if I shut down my old tank and transfer them into my new red sea tank right away. What should I do?

Upvote 0

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do a similar thing. But I'm switching from a Marineland petsmart rank to a red sea reefer 300xl. Same size tank. I have alot of pests so I'm not going to transfer my old rock. I'm going to start over with Marco rock reef saver. I added the eshopps bio-lux blocks to gather bacteria about a month ago. Hopefully this will be enough to at least not throw my new tank into a full cycle. I hope. It's a huge risk I know. I don't want all the pests in my new tank. This time I will dip everything before I add to the tank. Do you guys think I will be ok or should I leave my old tank running with the coral I have? Cycle the new tank in a different spot then transfer my corals over later. I'm afraid my corals will die if I shut down my old tank and transfer them into my new red sea tank right away. What should I do?
I am doing the same. I am already cycling my new rocks in a bucket as I wait for new tank. I plan to run both tanks at the same time for at least 3 months as new tank settles in. Will move softies then lps then sps slowly.

Upvote 0

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same. I am already cycling my new rocks in a bucket as I wait for new tank. I plan to run both tanks at the same time for at least 3 months as new tank settles in. Will move softies then lps then sps slowly.
The only problem is I'm building a new negative space aquascape. It's already glued together I can't stick that huge aquascape in a brute trashcan and cycle it. I was thinking of doing what your doing but I don't think that would work for me now.

Upvote 0

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is I'm building a new negative space aquascape. It's already glued together I can't stick that huge aquascape in a brute trashcan and cycle it. I was thinking of doing what your doing but I don't think that would work for me now.
I built NSA too. It's for 200 gallon tank. I put them in a long rectangular tote from home depot. But I guess it depends on shape of your rocks...

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back